• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ROA at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumbs

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I really don't know if the frown is justified here but...

I really haven't shot the OA for a few years. I took it to the range today with some new loads but have a question or two.

My load is 40gr Pyrodex RS, about a 3/16 wool felt wad with crisco as a lube and corn starch to keep them from stickin in the bag, and my round ball. Now I tumbled the balls and whatever spur there was left I put to the muzzel. I was very careful to seat each ball to the same depth in the cylinders. I tried to keep them as close to the top of the cylinder as possible and still have the cylinder turn freeley.

I guess I shot about 18 shots and they really weren't to bad for me not shooting for a couple of years. I rested the frame on a padded block of wood. The last cylinder rounds 19 to 24 were strange. The first shot was dead center at 25 yards. I couldn't have made a better shot. The second shot was about an inch high and to the right, third a little high and to the left of the second shot, forth fifth and sixth progressively climed to the left. You could put a straight edge on the line of holes. Each one higher than the last and to the left of the last one.

Prowler if your reading this those wads were great! I couldn't believe how clean the the OA and I were at the end of the shoot. And no messy grease over the balls.

Why are the shots climbing and to the left? Are the shots being fired to close together and the barrel is warping? I shot one after the other just lineing up the sights and fireing. Not fast but not waiting a minute or two between shots. What is causing this?

thanks for the help

if you were resting the barrel on the padded block that may have had some effect. you didn't specify but if adjustable sight model may have jarred loose. you shoot RS in a pistol? I have good results with Pyrodex 'P' grade but never tried the 'RS". seems it would burn too slow to get the max velocity (not always the most accurate load tho)

I wonder about "...keeping (the balls) as close to the top of the cylinder as possible...". You said nothing about any filler between the powder and the ball. How do you get the ball to be seated on the wad/powder charge and still as close to the top of the cylinder as possible?

I may not be understanding what you said, but the ball must be firmly seated on the wad/powder column. This is much more important to accuracy (and safety) than the distance between the ball and the end of the chamber. If the ball did not compress the powder column when you seated it, each shot will change how the powder sits in the chamber and each subsequent shot will have a different pressure wave. The ROA cylinder is pretty stout so I'm not sure if it could be damaged, but having a space between the powder and the ball can be a dangerous proposition in some guns.

Thumbs,

Any day at the range is a great one. Glad that I could be of some small help. :v
One other thing to consider, since you said you tried to keep the ball close to the top. That is OK in theory, but you have to make sure the seating pressure on the ball is consistant. The pressure is much more important than the seating depth. Beside the charge volume, make sure that the filler, if you use one, is also based on volume. Then compress the ball to the same pressure level. You may get a slight bit of dimensional difference due to the variations in filler, if used. Just make sure your seating pressure is equal.

I was resting the frame on the padded block. The reason I tried the RS is slowpokebr549 said that was what he used with pretty good results. His reasoning is he could fill the cylinders up and compress the ball and didn't have to measure. He also said this wasn't the most accureat load but it was a good compromise for accuracy, power, and ease of loading without haveing to use filler. This is kinda what I am lookin for. Right now I am looking for a hunting load. You wouldn't believe how straight a line the rounds made after the first shot. Like I said you could literaly put a straight edge on them and they would line up perfectly

I don't think there was a problem with any space in the cylinder. The powder came to within maybe 3/16" to the top. I then put the 3/16 or so wad over the powder then the ball. I compressed each of the cylinders the same amount. They were pretty slug. The reason RS was suggested was because it would compress even it loaded to the end of the cylinder.

I've been shooting 35 gr Goex 3f in mine and doesn't do too bad freehand. I might even back down to 30. Not sure yet. I tried 40, but learned that more isn't always better, accuracy-wise. I'm still working on it. That's with .457 Hornady roundballs. Haven't gotten into conicals yet.

Kevin in Pa

ATF. Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Who's got the dip?

One other thing to think about. IMHO messing with the BP subs is a waste of time, wads, balls, and money, especially in a pistol. Get some FFFg, determine the max load to provide the correct ball seating depth, then go enjoy your ROA.

I didn't use any filler. I wanted to load without it just for ease in the field. What I did was load to the same "depth" not pressure. I picked a spot on the ram and loaded each cylinder to that mark. Ok that may be at least part of the problem. I figured since I was using the same load it should"in theory" compress the same. That may be my problem but what is interesting is the way the rounds hit the target. First dead on then the second to the right and an inch high. Each of the following rounds "walked" up in steps to the left. Almost like you would travers and elevate a machine gun.

Well Thumbs, I see you tried my load. However, I never use wads over mine. I just fill the cylinder full and compress. I understand the wish for a nice clean process,hence the wads, but my Old Army has always liked a big dollop of grease on top of each ball. I have never encountered vertical stringing like you describe.I usually only use this for a hunting load so greasing one cylinder full isnt too much of a chore. If you just have to use a wad, try to soak em in more lube,something like moose snot, which is more liquified. One thing I have noticed about my RS load is that it is cruddy as hell.The filth buildup may be the problem. More lube, I would say.

I'm new to BP, but I must ask......HUH? :hmm:

Kevin in Pa

ATF. Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Who's got the dip?

It was late this afternoon. I only had time to get 4 cylinders shot. I had to stop because of light. I could see though. I was as careful as possible to get the same sight picture.

Oh ok. I was goin for a hunting load also. I'll give it a try without the wad. Nothin to loose. I know if you fire a cf rifle to fast they have a tendency to string that way but I wasn't fireing fast at all.

I don't have to use the wad, like you say I won't shoot six rounds hunting. I would like to get a good simple all around stout load for the OA though.

I have never put a chrono to that load but it seems pretty stout, and I have killed a doe with it. You dont have to give up on the wads on my account. Hell you may have just been getting tired.

Ya know not to bad. Now I'm not a target shooter. I mean you guys shoot a heck of a lot better than I do but I was rather impressed with the first 18 shots. Most of the shots save maybe 3 or so were all very dead deer. Ok I have no intention of hunting deer with it but if i was they were dead. I do take it with me for a close in follow up shot though. Like I said this is the first time I shot er in a few years. The string is what is getting me.

Ya know nothing is for sure here. I will get out maybe tomorrow or the next day and have a little more time to experiment a bit.

I forgot how much fun the OA is to shoot. I was impressed with the first 18 shots. Ok not everone was a winner but ya know it probably was me. I say this about all my firearms. There isn't one that doesn't shoot better than I do. It's like sailing. If ya get into a lot of trouble and can't get out of it just let everything go. The boat sails better than the captain most of the time. LOL

Funny thing the OA stayed pretty clean. Even the cylinder wasn't bad at all. When I cleaned er up it wasn't bad. Could be she doesn't like the wad but the first few shots were ok. I just gotta get a little more time to work on it.

If there is one thing that I have learned about BP is to not jump to conclusions. I know that I am only good for about three times around the cylinder and then I oughta put er down for awhile.If you can shoot eighteen times and still have a clean pistol, hey keep trying the wads.

Back