• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ROA at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That load in my fixed sight OA will go into about four(maybe a little more) inches at 50 yards.It shot through a doe, but she wasnt 10 or 15 paces from me. It is accurate enough that I used it to dispatch a buck my nephew had wounded. I squated down and shot him in the junction of his neck and head. I couldnt get much closer without spooking him out.

I think the first thing I am gonna try is getting the pressure as close to the same on each chamber. I think part of the problem was I loaded to a mark on the ram when I should have been loading to "feel" the same pressure.

I was really happy with the way it stayed so clean. Now I wouldn't eat off it but it sure wasn't cruddy.

That is always the problem I had with wads. I never seem to be able to get a consistant pressure with my Ruger and a wad. A .457 ball will get loose in my cylinder if pushed much past flush. I always had problems with wads and balls creeping forward under recoil. Accuracy suffered if I loaded enough real black to keep my rb as close to flush as possible. I know some guys load rb seated clear back in the cylinder on a light load and a wad, but my pistol hates that and throws em all over.Filler is usually the answer, but who wants to mess with it? I really did put a lot of thought into my hunting load, though it may strike some as sloppy. I can get a consistant density and loading depth with RS filled to the brim. My pistol is accurate enough and powerful enough to hunt with it. I get the same loading "feel" to it every time.

It's no secret as to my just starting this OA stuff. That being said how about and this may sound dumb my same load but with the wad on the outside? These wads fit pretty tight. They are 1/2" in diameter. Would the thing in front of the ball throw the ball all out of wack? I know you guys must have tried it. That way I could load the ball right onto the powder and still use the wad to help clean things up.

No, keep the wad on the inside if you are going to use it. A chance of one coming loose and becoming a Bore Obstruction the other way. Ohh, and Happy Birthday. :thumbsup:

I skimmed through all of the answers here and the one situation that seemed the most likely cause to me was not there, lead fouling in the barrel. I run a brush threw the barrel every other cylinder, if I don't after about four cylinders, most of my cap and balls will start tossing rounds all over the place. It is curious that all of yours walked out in a straight line - don't know what is going on there. But, for a cheap fix I say try scrubing out that barrel after your 12th shot. Dip the brush in some Butch's Bore Shine, that will help alot as well. Take the cylinder our when you do this, running that brush into a cylinder you will no doubt lodge a chunk of junk into the nipple hole and that will cause you a no or hang fire.

Thanks guys I did have a good day with family and friends.

Anyway I have some stuff here to think about. I shoot a lot of rifle but as you know this stuff is a bit different.

Is there anything I may have already that I could clean the barrel with? I don't have any place local. I have to go about an hour to find a good shop that will have this stuff. Is this cleaner pretty common?

Can't find Hoppes either. LOL Walmart is about it and they don't carry a lot. It's pretty bad when walmart is you bp store.

Good 'ol carberator cleaner will do the trick, just don't let it get on the wood grips, kinda rough on the finish.

Back