• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roger's Rangers issued a knife?!?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes/Tex

Cannon
Reaction score
Any thoughts on what's suppose to be Roger's issued knife?
[url] http://www.bladesmith.com/camp.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one of these knives last year and it is very well made. Most people believe it is correct for the period. Make no bones about this knife, it is a fighting knife with a lot of "back bone"!! Matches the rugged look of the Roger's Rangers fighting tomahawk sold elsewhere!

As far as I can determine the rangers brought their own knives and most likely belt axes with them when they enlisted.This knife and likely the ""ranger's fighting tomahawks" semm to me to be fantasy blades. I cannot recommend books by Spring and prefer to do my own research or rely on that of those persons whose research I respect.
Tom Patton

The blade on my large knife is a copy of one unearthed at Ticonderoga. That puts it in the right spot, but it's still a guess as to the exact date. That area was under French, British and American occupation and the rangers were a small force.

Haversackandcutlery.jpg

The tang extends about 1/2 of the antler handle and is pinned with iron (nails).

Okwaho, my thoughts exactly. It seemed too pat an answer for a Rogers item. The knife appears to be from a slightly later era, design-wise. Not saying it's not a good knife, just looks more early 19th century than 18th. Couldn't figure what the connection to Rogers could be.

Back