• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Ball accuracy??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely nothing wrong with T/C's 1:48 twist or the button rifling for patch and roundball.

Button rifling results in a more shallow "land". This is excellent for sealing and velocity.

I've got several T/C rifles most of which are in 1:48 flavor. Using felt wads, all of them pattern excellent with PRB at 100 yards with worked up higher charge hunting loads. (3-4" groups, many times better than that).

I've got one T/C 50 cal barrel in 1:66. It is slightly more accurate with PRB at 100 yards with a hunting load.
But very slight.
With target loads, the slower twist really shines to a tack driving accuracy.

If I were into PRB target shooting for competition, I would use the 1:66-70" twist.

For hunting and non-competition shooting 1:48 is just fine.

Try using a felt wad. Makes a huge difference with PRB at longer ranges and for superior accuracy, velocity and consistency.

:imo: :m2c:

Latest posts

Back