• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Balls with dents??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw a product that pushes a dent like X or a cross or dimple on your round ball after you have set it in the barrel. It states that it will help with expantion on deer or any animal. :hmm: What do you think?? Has anyone ever tried this, or is it just snake oil??

hangman said:
I saw a product that pushes a dent like X or a cross or dimple on your round ball after you have set it in the barrel. It states that it will help with expantion on deer or any animal. :hmm: What do you think?? Has anyone ever tried this, or is it just snake oil??
I've seen those myself and understand how it could grab someone's interest...but personally I think it's a solution in search of a non-existent problem...so far, I've dragged out every deer I've shot with a regular lead round ball.

And a real consideration to think about is why we're deciding to use a patched round ball in the first place...ie: to simulate some of the hunting methods and equipment of our forefathers...and my guess is they didn't modify the surfaces of their lead balls after seating them...I think if you'll shoot them enough, even run some "penetration tests" on some gallon jugs of water you'll be amazed at how the lead ball flattens and transfers energy.

A few years ago I was wanting to deer hunt with a little .45cal/Hornady .440 ball but was concerned about the stopping power of it...so...unscientific as it was, I lined up 5 large orange juice jugs full of water at the range...shot a .45cal/.440 deer hunting load into the middle of the first one at about 30yds.

It violently burst the first 3 jugs flinging water for 20 feet, entered the 4th jug and left a dent in the plastic of the inside back wall of the 4th jug, recovered the ball flattened out the size of a nickle.

Each of these jugs held about 6" of water width-wise for a total of 24" water and 7 thickness of strong plastic side material...muzzleloaders with PRB's are extremely efficient & effecive...they're just not a 400 yard firearm...use them like you'd use a .30-30 and I think you'll find the simple lead round ball is fine as it is.
:thumbsup:

roundball said:
hangman said:
...so far, I've dragged out every deer I've shot with a regular lead round ball.

...muzzleloaders with PRB's are extremely efficient & effecive...they're just not a 400 yard firearm...use them like you'd use a .30-30 and I think you'll find the simple lead round ball is fine as it is.
:thumbsup:

Great point, Roundball! You just increased my confidence in my PRB hunting setup by a whole lot. I planned on doing some similar penetration "experiments" this summer also. Thanks. :hatsoff:

hangman said:

Just "snake oil", pure marketing propoganda.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I wouldn't completely dismissed the potential increase in the ball's expansion without seeing any testing done to disprove the claim. The claim does have a logical scientific basis and there is quite a lot of empirical evidence resulting from other types of bullet testing done with a wide variety of bullet testing mediums.
The answer to the question is not whether a PRB expands sufficiently without being altered, but whether altering the PRB will measurably increase the expansion.
The kit being referred to here is called the T/C Maxi Shok I believe. There are 4 different tips that can be used to create some very deep hollow points in the ball.
It's quite difficult for me to truely believe that such alterations wouldn't create any increase in expansion when the effect of hollow pointing in virtually all of the .22 rimfires as well as small caliber pure lead airgun pellets is well documented. :hmm:

I think one of the main issues to consider is whether or not the hollow pointed PRB will consistently hit the target "head on" in order to maximize any potential benefit of the alteration. :hmm:

I agreee with you and arcticap on this. Snake oil and would it ever stay on course to hit dead center with the cross (I highly doubt it) and pure lead expands just fine on its own.

rabbit03

Latest posts

Back