• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundball Twist On My White Mountian Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of contacting Bobby Hoyt and see if he could turn my 50 cal. 1-20 twist White Mountian Carbine into a 1-60 twist for specifically shooting roundball. It's an older one I bought from a forum member and want it for mainly treestanding hunting in thick areas, has anyone that you know of had it done and how did it turn out? I've never dealt with Mr. Hoyt but hear he does good work.

Planning to get out and shoot it some before I do anything to it when we get some cooler weather, I know each gun is different so who knows it might shoot them fine I really don't want to shoot conical in it if I can find an alternative.

Don't have any experience with the white mountain but I did have a traditions buckskinner for several years. It was 1:20 twist with a very short barrel. My hunting is within 59 yards due to thick cover and that one did fine with round ball. It wouldn't put two in the same hole but you could hit tennis balls with it all day long. 70 grains under a patched .490 Hornady round ball was it's preferred load. Give it a shot. You might not have to do anything.

Two brothers I know both have White Mountain Carbines.
They were Christmas presents from their parents.
Not sure how much pyrodex they shoot, but with that and .50 Maxi Balls that have filled up a couple of truckbeds full of deer.
I tried to buy one of those rifles from one of them after he went through at least 4 Knights and currently shoots an Encore.
I was flatly denied.

I've been toying with the idea of contacting Bobby Hoyt and see if he could turn my 50 cal. 1-20 twist White Mountian Carbine into a 1-60 twist for specifically shooting roundball. It's an older one I bought from a forum member and want it for mainly treestanding hunting in thick areas, has anyone that you know of had it done and how did it turn out? I've never dealt with Mr. Hoyt but hear he does good work.
I have a number of the fast twist WMCs, and they all will shoot patched roundballs, you just have to figure out the most accurate hunting charge. It will likely be somewhere between 60 and 80 grains of 3F (you will not completely consume a hunting charge of 2F under a roundball in a 24” barrel).

Right now trying to decide which one of the two below will have its barrel rebored by Mr Hoyt to a fast twist 54 caliber slug gun. The more accurate of the two with 50 caliber conicals will stay as is. Actually not much difference between the two.
1719269263107.jpeg

Maybe I missed something but I don't think that the twist rate can be changed without first boring it enough to clean out the old rifling. So if it is currently a
.50 cal you'll probably have to go to at least .52 cal, other than that I wouldn't think that there would be a problem.

Maybe I missed something but I don't think that the twist rate can be changed without first boring it enough to clean out the old rifling. So if it is currently a
.50 cal you'll probably have to go to at least .52 cal, other than that I wouldn't think that there would be a problem.
A barrel can be bored bigger and then relined to a smaller caliber if one wanted to do that.

A barrel can be bored bigger and then relined to a smaller caliber if one wanted to do that.
Seems like it would be cheaper to just a .50 cal barrel in 60" twist, then if you want to shoot conicals just swap the original barrel back.

I had this exact thing done by Bobby Hoyt, it's the only work he's ever done for me and I'd use him again.

My WM .50 Carbine was acquired on the internet from some lying scumbag who misrepresented the bore condition. I accepted the loss and stuck it in a corner not wanting to pass my problem off to some other poor soul.

I learned about Mr. Hoyt's work here and after a very brief conversation shipped my barrel off with instructions to make it a .54 round ball twist. I got it back after about a month or so. I never asked what twist he put in however it shoots really well. To say I'm happy with the conversion is an understatement.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/t-c-white-mountain-carbine-re-bore.139459/

Last edited:
I never understood why T/C made the carbine with such a fast twist but the 32"-barrel rifle is 1-60". Maybe they figured you can't burn much powder in that short barrel?

Back