• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, no pressure Ed🤣
Indeed, no pressure. I’ve yet to see the first person anywhere I squirrel hunt. However, I’m now down to two private places to hunt. Neither one are great during early season but there are squirrels in there. A bit more challenging but it is doable.

I have miles and miles of public land way back in there to hunt. Some of it I come in from the river. I doubt I’ll be seeing anyone back in there either.

My biggest complaint about hunting landlocked property during the weekends is noise from adjoining properties and/or roadways. I like things quiet.

On the river, due to increased boat traffic from the Ohio navy during the weekends, it’s all rocks down there when the water level is low. I do not like to keep my boat tied up next to large rocks and boulders with so many large waves coming in.

Last edited:
Just wondering how many of us are using original rifles, percussion or flint, to hunt squirrels.

Probably discussed already but there are now 100 pages to this thread. Very popular subject.

Jeff
I do. I have not one, but two original Traditions Crockett Squirrel Rifles. No sir, no copy-cats for me. 😁

Last edited:
I seldom remove the barrel on my Crockett for cleaning. Just block off the nipple and fill the barrel with warm water. Let it sit for 10 minutes the first time. I do this twice each time then follow-up with cleaning patches and Ballistol. I seal the barrel to stock so no moisture can get down in there.

I do, however, run moist parches with Windex on them after every 1-3 shots. That prevents most fowling from forming.
I've always removed my barrels for cleaning. I out them in a bucket of hot water, after removing the nipples and the clean out screw or what ever the proper name of that screw is. I didn't have anyone to teach me or no internet, just a book my wife bought me. Basic muzzleloading for beginners.
I see a lot if y'all just plug the holes and pour in hot water. Ed, told me about this awhile back. He also turned me on to the Windex trick, it does seam to make a difference. I will give this method a try.
I know have 3 rifles that have pins instead of wedges. 2 flintlocks 1 percussion. I did not remove the barrels when cleaning them, just wet patches until clean.
I really like this forum, truly appreciate everyone sharing ideas and methods.

Take Care Stay Safe

Interesting. Thank you for the input.

For the life of me I cannot make myself use spit patches for hunting. I keep everything exactly the same regardless of weather conditions. TOTW Mink Oil. I do not have to run moist patches down the bore as often as I do (which is usually after every shot, unless I’m in the middle of more action) however, I’ve found that by doing so the ball seats the same every time, every shot. It eliminates any variables. If I miss, it’s my fault.

Also, by using moist patch’s with Windex I have shot over 20 shots and my squirrel rifle had very little crud build up in it when I went to clean it.

Then again, I’m like an ole cow in a pasture. Once I get used to a certain path, it’s difficult to get me to change.
I’ve been shooting the Holy Black for over 40 years, basically since I was a kid and had to have help loading the firearm. Even though I grew up in an owned by my father and his friend that built custom rifles, both Muzzleloading and modern, neither of them were diehard muzzleloader shooters and followed many of the misconceptions still held by folks today. It wasn’t until I was in my mid to late 30’s that I got hooked up with a couple of world champion shooters who took pity on me. Ric Carter 5x world champion 3 with a smooth bore, and Alan Shured, 2x smooth bore world champion. Ric was also the co founder of Northstar West with Curly.

When I started listening to what these two guys did to become world champion shooters, my shooting skills with both black powder rifles and smooth bores increased dramatically. I sold, and threw away a lot of tools, and materials that I found I no longer needed, and within a month I was constantly hitting gallon milk jugs every shot with my great, great grandfather’s Northwest Trade Gun. When it came to rifles I wasn’t fighting with tight loads because of fouling after a few shots, and I was shooting much tighter groups. That little Frontier 32 cal if I do my part never misses. I only miss when I get sun a hurry and let old bad habits creep in during the loading and priming of the pan.

Not to worry. I’m sure the squirrels would say “now whats that snake doing all wrapped around that guys hat” and think nothing more of it. Then go right back to doing their squirrel thing.
Got skins from my ol nemesis on my recurve limbs. They disappear in the woods. Just have a turkey feather in my camo Stetson. Can't wear that hat here due to hunter orange law. I've worn it a couple times back home when it wasn't too hot.

Attachments

• IMG_20240814_125425829.jpg
    IMG_20240814_125425829.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240814_125318317.jpg
    IMG_20240814_125318317.jpg
    965.6 KB · Views: 0
Got skins from my ol nemesis on my recurve limbs. They disappear in the woods. Just have a turkey feather in my camo Stetson. Can't wear that hat here due to hunter orange law. I've worn it a couple times back home when it wasn't too hot.
To clarify, the skins on my stick bow are not from the actual one that bit me.

For those of you that squirrel hunt in warmer weather or warmer climates how frequent have your venomous snake encounters been?

Speaking as one who squirrel hunts with a half blind dog, I prefer not to see a venomous snake. I'm sure the vet bill for a snake bite would be pricey, if the dog would even survive the trip.

Great way to display the skins though, especially like them on the bow limbs.

Jeff

For those of you that squirrel hunt in warmer weather or warmer climates how frequent have your venomous snake encounters been?

Speaking as one who squirrel hunts with a half blind dog, I prefer not to see a venomous snake. I'm sure the vet bill for a snake bite would be pricey, if the dog would even survive the trip.

Great way to display the skins though, especially like them on the bow limbs.

Very seldom. In fact, hardly ever do I see a copperhead and never have seen a rattlesnake here or Tennessee.

Whenever a dog gets bitten by a copperhead, they swell up kind of bad but very seldom do the dogs die. After the second or third snake bite, they become immune to it.

In terms of myself (unless I were to get bitten on my right leg that 8 months ago got a new knee, or perhaps my jugular vain) I’ve made up my mind that if I get bitten by a copperhead, I’m not going in for medical treatment. Won’t be fun but I’ll get through it.

The old timers here used to wrap the bitten area with a rag soaked in coal oil.

Last edited:
Those copperhead skins look good on limbs. I had a longbow with copperhead skins on it.

Back