• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm powder coat. The new way to treat brass or steel?
I’m not a fan of brass. I powder coat bullets for the other guns. I have a large double oven set up in the shop. It’s quite handy. Since spray paint takes so long to dry and doesn’t last I’ve switched to powder coating anything that will fit in the ovens. I built a box set up with dust extraction to help keep that area clean.

I’m not a fan of brass. I powder coat bullets for the other guns. I have a large double oven set up in the shop. It’s quite handy. Since spray paint takes so long to dry and doesn’t last I’ve switched to powder coating anything that will fit in the ovens. I built a box set up with dust extraction to help keep that area clean.
I think that is going to look great. I’m looking forward to seeing it together.

I think that is going to look great. I’m looking forward to seeing it together.
I’m hoping that I can make my decision on the stain tomorrow and get that part finished. I think it’s going to turn out nice, me fingers are crossed.

Is the PC a gloss? Matte?

Wow! I checked TC plug wrenches on eBay and see them going go $100 now, they were about $25 a year ago.

There is a guy making these now, he has some for sale on eBay every now and then, seems like he sells his for about $25.

Walking back from the barn this morning I found a rock. With a couple light strikes from a railroad spike it became a decent flint. 1 shot or 50, it was free.
2845F2DB-4732-4399-A20E-9FA6B74D9B53.jpeg

Working on a Kibler fowler. This walnut stock has some very nice figure in the butt! It also has some of the most stubborn and difficult grain issues I have seen! I have worked with quite a bit of walnut in my life, I have never had any that has as much or as stubborn fibers. I hope the pictures show it. They present as divots with a spiky projection. This was all over the top of the wrist where the carving and thumb piece are. At first I though it was leftover from machining. I started with a scraper and as I worked the stock I could see new ones appear! I think this is associated with curly fibers. I found sandpaper worked better than the scraper. I am definitely going to need grain sealer/filler. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    533.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2736.jpeg
    IMG_2736.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2726.jpeg
    IMG_2726.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2728.jpeg
    IMG_2728.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Got the Investarm stock stained yesterday. I used Minwax special walnut because I had it. It didn’t work as well as the Birchwood Casey Walnut that I’m out of. I’ll start applying True Oil today. I made a nipple wrench for my revolvers out of spare 1/4” deep socket because the Traditions nipple wrenches aren’t worth the packaging they come in. I filed the notch by hand then turned the OD on the lathe. Now I’m resting these three herniated discs.

Attachments

• IMG_6665.jpeg
    IMG_6665.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6664.jpeg
    IMG_6664.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6663.jpeg
    IMG_6663.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back