• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Why do you guys like the RB for hunting if it looses energy so fast? I was thinking about trying a 58cal RB for hunting here in the Rocky Mountains. My question is what is so great about the RB?

Most of us are interested in hunting using the same technology as was used back when. That is roundball. We limit ourselves to the correct range for the technology. We are not interested in shooting farther, faster, and delivering a ton of energy way out there. If you are interested in long range, then the conical is your obvious choice. If we need more energy at 80 yards, we get a bigger ball.

Sharp Shooter said:
Why do you guys like the RB for hunting if it looses energy so fast? I was thinking about trying a 58cal RB for hunting here in the Rocky Mountains. My question is what is so great about the RB?

It's sort of the same as "why does someone choose to bowhunt'.

Using muzzleloaders, and further, using patched round balls in them, is accepting the challenge of mastering older technology and to learn how to be successful at some of the things that our ancestors did "back in the day".

And, in the case of hunting, the choice of PRB usually forces someone to have to learn/plan/hunt differently, smarter, better than before, than when using long range high performance scoped rifles which gave so many modern advantages.

The rewards to me at least have been huge...just nothing like taking a nice buck with a flintlock, blackpowder, and patched lead ball.
:thumbsup:

As I see it, the PRB is the quick road to consistent muzzleloader accuracy. As Runner and Roundball stated, you learn to work around the range/power[url] limitations....therein[/url] lies the roundball challenge.

Where game is spooky and sparse and your hunting time limited, it might pay to look at other options. With conicals and sabots, the challenge is to get consistent long-range accuracy. Hopefully you can find time in the off-season to choose the components and develop the technique (and marksmanship skills) needed to achieve this goal.

Of course, this neglects the PC part of the equation....one of my failings :redface: .
FWIW
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to use roundballs for the same reason I use flintlocks. Because it's most probably what Ole Daniel, Davey, Jim and the boys used. I don't wear the same type clothes, etc. but like shooting the same gun and ammo.

Sharp Shooter said:

Nothing really great about a Rb, other than it is simple and works well. :hmm:

Need more energy, use more powder, or get a bigger ball. :shocked2:

Not many 58 slow twists to choose from. :(

I just bought a 1/28 twist flintlock for shooting bullets with sabots, but I now find myself shooting the TC roundball rifle all the time. I just love shooting patch and balls and am studying building a rifle for 54 roundballs.

BS said:
Sharp Shooter said:

FWIW, my .58 is a GM 1" x 33" x 1:70" Flint drop in barrel for the large size TC Hawken stock...outstanding accuracy

For the same reason I hunt with a recurve/longbow in bow season. More of a challenge getting close to game than shooting a hailmary shot wondering if you just shot the 3 point or 5 point in the bunch.

If roundballs didn't kill, I doubt we'd be here today. :thumbsup:

roundball said:
BS said:
Sharp Shooter said:

FWIW, my .58 is a GM 1" x 33" x 1:70" Flint drop in barrel for the large size TC Hawken stock...outstanding accuracy

Yea, I think the GM drop in is about the only choice. 1 inch barrel only! :winking:

TC still makes their 1" x 29" x 1:48" .58cal barrel in both Cap & Flint lock...and 1:48" shoot PRB's fine unless you're planning to go on the competition trail or something...but never planning on using anything like a 535grn .58cal conical, I got the GM RB barrel...I like the longer length as much as anything else too

roundball said:
TC still makes their 1" x 29" x 1:48" .58cal barrel in both Cap & Flint lock...and 1:48" shoot PRB's fine unless you're planning to go on the competition trail or something...but never planning on using anything like a 535grn .58cal conical, I got the GM RB barrel...I like the longer length as much as anything else too

I'm not sure how well a heavy charge and a 1 in 48 twist would shoot. If the rifling is deep, not .0045 :( like on my TC Hawken 50cal, you might be OK. When in doubt, go with the slow twist! :grin:

Pretty much echo what was said by others: I enjoy shooting as my forefathers did. I also do archery, traditional. No Compound Bow for me. Sharpens the skills as a hunter and shooter. Well that what floats my boat.

Why if you listen to some of these modern "muzzleloader" type fellas, a PRB won't even kill a deer and to a black bear it would be like a fly bite!!!!If you shoot a squirrel with one, it just makes them mad. Every body who is anybody knows the bare minimum bullet would be a 475gr. ultrabelt ballistic megatip supermini 3000, behind a suitable load of let's say 155gr. of pioneer pyroclear semi-smokeless self-cleaning powder. I see'd it on the Outdoor Channel!! :hmm:

Same reasons as everyone else stated......and they work and work well, within their range limitations. Duplicating how the Longhunters, Mountain Men or Plainsmen took their game and defended themselves and their families, and hopefully learning something more about them and our heritage as riflemen is all a part of it. Plus, you generally have to be a better hunter to get close, especially out west where ranges are farther in general than in the forested mid-west and east.

As others have said, I also hunt with a longbow or recurve....and with wooden arrows I made myself...which those other guys probably do also. No compound for me......and I fly fish with bamboo and a silk fly line, but I do confess to having some graphite rods and plastic lines which are gathering dust. I just like doing things the old way. I believe that teaches one something about themselves also.

Vic

kentucky bucky said:
Why if you listen to some of these modern "muzzleloader" type fellas, a PRB won't even kill a deer and to a black bear it would be like a fly bite!!!!If you shoot a squirrel with one, it just makes them mad. Every body who is anybody knows the bare minimum bullet would be a 475gr. ultrabelt ballistic megatip supermini 3000, behind a suitable load of let's say 155gr. of pioneer pyroclear semi-smokeless self-cleaning powder. I see'd it on the Outdoor Channel!! :hmm:
They have not ment my 73cal or my 7ga. loaded with a RB.
550 grains of lead, with a 200-220 grains of FF, is quite powerful.
But..........my 7ga. with a mild load of 170FF and a 1000 grains of lead, will shoot lenght ways thru a deer. Exit hole looks llike it was made by a golf ball!
7gaBall.jpg

Bs,...Amen brother.

I've got .32, .54, and .62 flintlock rifles that shoot ONLY PRB

Shot a moose in Ontario with my .62 loaded with 200gr's 2ff and a .610 PRB. At 50 yd's the ball traveled lenghtways through the moose and stopped just under the hide in the brisket.....roundballs do it all :thumbsup:

buckskinner.jpg

NWTF Longhunter
how long is the barrel on that gun you got propped up on that old swamp donkey ?
I'm buildin' a 12bore with 36"barrel,gonin' to use it on moose this year with pacthed round ball .69cal.
Hopin' the shorter barrel will prove to be easier to handle in the bush.
p.s nice lookin'moose hope you didn't have to care him too far!
:hatsoff:

I am a firm believer in getting close to critters while hunting and not get all wrapped up in trying to find ways of shooting my equipment flatter and farther. I suppose that why I also shoot a longbow and wood arrows... :thumbsup:

Ron

Back