• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RR SPIKE HAWK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsilver

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I know everybody does rr spikes-but I thought this one turned out nicely-How to cut the sharp tip off-upset the end which is building material for the blade-fuller the blade out which is spreading-then slit and drift for the haft-Questions?
DSC03214.jpg
[url] http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k45/rsilver4/DSC03212.jpg[/img][/url]
DSC03207.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
butchesforge said:
Questions?

I assume this is for the "after the railroad came" period, but the blade looks like the Colonial period. Is this just a "modern" tomahawk, combining different styles from the past?

I really like it! Funny you should post this, my friend and I are supposed to do a demo day forging out various things (hes the expert, I get to help), and I was mentioning it might be neat to make a hawk from a spike. I thought we could at least get it roughed out to show a few different techniques, Thanks for posting it.

JM-thanks for your post-rr spike hawks are good for that because you use most of the basic techniques -upsetting-fullering-slitting-tapering and drifting the eye -also you could do a rr spike knife-and use twisting for the handle--

Very nice Butch! :grin: First spike hawk I ahve seen! :hatsoff: I like the simplicity of the design!

Davy

thanks Davy,actually it's easier to make one from scratch-not much material in a spike- :cursing: very difficult to keep the eye straight-glad you liked it- :v

very nice hawk.. I made one years ago but made the blade from the other end and hammered the spike to a point

Yeah Chuck Iv'e made them that way,it's a little easier.but you don't recognize it as :hmm: a rr spike without the head--thanks for the post Butch :hatsoff:

Spikes are some tough steel, I have hammered on one but never finished what I started. Do they hold a good edge? As tough as the one I messed with was they should. Nice job!
Jeff

Jeff,thanks,well the spikes are probably a medium to low carbon steel,fairly hard to work,forges better at a yellow heat.Most people really don't use them,but they will sharpen up pretty good-thanks for the post--do much forging? :thumbsup: by the way is the one in your avatar yours?

RR spike hawks are cool! :thumbsup:

I don't care what period they're from, they're just cool.

So, how DO you get the hole thru there? :confused:

Jethro-pay attention :shocked2: -you take a slittin chisel-cut an opening-then take a hawk drift and drift the opening to size-nuthin to it -really a pain in the a$$ to get straight thanks for the post compadre :v and compliment--

I have seen this done using a common cold roll chisel purchased from a hardware store, held with the blade upright in a vise. The spike is heated to orange white hot, when it is very soft and maleable, and then it is positioned over the chisel and given a firm strke with a large machinists hammer. After a couple of strike, the spike is rocked back and forth to get it off the chisel, and then it is turned over, often after revisiting the forge to bring it back up to heat, and the chisel is driven through the other side to make a complete hole through the spike. Once the hole is begun, then it is widened with a specially shaped " Drift" that imitates the oblong shape of the handle that will be inserted. Again, depending on time, and general air temperature, the spike may be returned to the forge to be reheated a couple of time during the process. I have also seen this done using a cutoff Hoagy for an anvil, which is a chisel shaped blade made with a shank sized to fit a square hole at the back end of the anvil. You can buy them from Centaur Forge, co., in Wisconsin. The only downside to using a hoagy for this purpose is that it is not clamped into the anvil in anyway, and you really do have to smack the side of the spike to rock it off the hoagy to get it off. With a chisel held firmly in a vise, the chisel stays put, and its easier to separate the two items.

The whole purpose of a forge is to allow you to shape metal quickly. You will be amazed the first time you see a trained black smith shape metal quickly using an forge, anvil, or shaping block.

Butche:
Yes, I do a lot of forging but not as much as I should be doing. Its cooled of here now so I can get back out a get to making things I am behind on.
No the Avatar in not anything I made, just a stock one from the Forum. I haven't figured how to get a picture of my stuff posted, anyone know how it works?
Anyway nice work.
Jeff

Jeff-you have to get a photobucket account-free-pretty easy to use-then when you post to add a image-put your cursor in the icons they tell you what there for- you want to click on image-then in the box paste the photo you copyed from photobucket-there are some posts that explain it better then me or you can ask claude or one of the moderators-good luck :v --ps it is hard to get motivated in this hot weather :redface:

Go to Photobucket and open a free photo gallery acct .. here..
[url] http://photobucket.com/[/url]

Then read this thread ...
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/192486/[/url]

Davy :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Paulvall-excellent description of the process-but a cold chisel wont hold up to well to the heat one made especially for that is better I made mine from A-2 steel S-7 is better and I think you mean a hardy instead of a hoagy-please don't take this wrong not trying to be a no-it-all :v Butch

Back