• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust in bore part2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallguy888

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks to all who left a message on my last post. I gave the barrel a good going over using each method and they all did well. There is some pitting but not to bad. Hopefully it'll be a usable barrel. Thanks again

Is this a T/C barrel, I recall that they made a .56 smoothbore at one time?

If the pits won't come out and they are getting under your collar, (if the barrel's walls are thick enough) you could always have it drilled out or have a machinest shave a few layers [.002"] off, leaving you with a fresh, clean barrel...

Sometimes a few pits will not effect the rifle as much as you think other then the apperance. All you can do is try them. A person last year GAVE me a Tradition's .50 caliber Pioneer Hawkins rifle. He claimed family members messed with it causing the terrible condition the rifle was in. It could also have been someone failed to clean it after deer season. He said the barrel was ruined and JUNK.

I took the rifle apart and cleaned for hours and hours. I replaced the nipple and wedge pins. It has excellent sights on it (Williams Peep Sights). I fixed a crack in the stock. Then came the work on the inside of the barrel. I took some NAPA Water soluable valve grinding compound and began to work the barrel. I must have put over 500 strokes through it, cleaning it every 50 strokes.

Although I was never able to get all the pitting out of the barrel, and the outside is still in ruff shape, I am happy to report that with 70 grains of Pyrodex RS and a patched round ball, this thing will shoot ragged holes off a set of shooting sticks.

RUST NEVER SLEEPS...

Say, that would make a great record title... :winking:

Maybe thay can get Neil Young to sing on it...

Yes it is a T/C 56 Cal. your suggestion is definately something to think about. Thank you

Thats why I was interested as to how well it shoots! Was giveing serious thought to makeing my .54 cal.into a smoothbore.It had been left uncleaned ,and with a charge in it when I bought it.As cayugad discribed his operation,is about the way it was with the T/C.The lock and the rest of the gun is good but the bore is still pretty pitted in the QLA muzzle.I seldom shoot conicals so this feature is a waste for round balls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Be sure to try it, you may be surprised - I bought a Renegade barrel off ebay the other day not expecting much, and when I got it I was really glad I wasn't expecting it to be good. It looked TERRIBLE I cleaned it up as best I could, and it still looks really bad in there except that at least it is smooth... Well any way, I dropped it into a TC Hawkin stock I had took it to the rock-pit and shot it, all I can say is WOW! - it grouped great. I certainly could not resell it as good barrel but gosh does it shoot well. So for me looks can be deceiving and were deceiving.

For what its worth.
I bought a .56 T/C a couple years ago for 120 bucks, sent the barrel out and had it rifled to .58 as a bullet shooter.
A 500 grain mini ball over 100 grains of gee whiz makes for an interesting shooting session. ::

"I bought a Renegade barrel off ebay the other day...."
==========================================================

Sabotshooter

I seen your barrel & that stock on the auction site. I can't believe :no: somebody paid $150 for that scratched stock with recoil pad removed. Who's to say the lock & trigger ain't half-wore out either.:: By the time you add a decent pad to it... it's a $200 stock. Then put a barrel on it... it's $340. I can get a brand new Renegade 58 for $379.

Click Here To See

Now you know why when I paid 40 or 50 bucks for it I wasn't expecting much - and I can not believe what Thompson stocks and locks go for sight unseen on ebay

I tried the barrel last weekend and it performed nicely. At 100 yards it held a 3" group. The only difference I found was it needed to be cleaned more often between shots. About every two shots. Thanks to all who posted a suggestion or comment.

How much WD-40 will this take to clean up? :: ::

W0310B.jpg

140 years in the ground below a Virginia battlefield made it a tad rusty... :winking:

Back