• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rusty barrel??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chgraf

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Friends son shot his BP rifle & put it away without cleaning it :shocked2: Any good secrects anybody out there would like to share with me on how to clean it up good & get it back to being a shootable & some what accurate rifle :hmm: I realize scrubbing it good will help but its in rather poor shape. I'm afraid the barrel will be pitted no matter how much scrubbing we do. I welcome all of your opinions. Thanks

an old rifle I picked up had a mistreated (rusty) green mountain barrel that I thought would have to be replaced but what the heck figgured nothing to loose but a little time so I used a scotchbrite pad on a wire brush coated with penetrating oil and scrubed on it about 10 min. a night for about a week didn't look to bad so took it out for a try and was very impressed with the accuracy of what I had thought was a piece of junk

:grin: I had two rifles destroyed in a shop fire, all the wood was gone and only the metal left along with a lot of rust inside and out. The firemen stated that it was at least 2000 degrees in that fire soooo I purchased new stocks,
straightened warped barrels, cleaned thi inside of the barrels with wire brush and PB Blast and
waalaa they shoot better than ever. PB Blast is goooood stuff DBJ

Use brake fluid and soak it on a sopping patch or plug vent or nipple hole, then pour in. Caution do this Outside cause it will melt any flooring, table finishes/ worst of all stock finishes.Also use rubber glove on hands to protect them.
Then use Bronze brush first ot remove loose rust. Use OOOO steel wool wrapped on bronze brush with brake fluid . When it turns red with rust, clean barrel with cleaner of your choice. Repeat with steel wool/bronze brush wet with brake fluid till red again. Check bore, clean barrel repeat as necessary. I have used brake fluide for cleaning rusty guns, tools, knives etc, for years. Good ccleaning. PeashooterJoe..

I've had good luck with valve grinding compound on a cleaning patch. polishes the metal real nice, and even if it's still a little pitted it should shoot fine. Check at an auto parts store for it.

I bought a real cheap Hawken from a forum member. Well it arrived, and the bore is pure rust cake! I posted a thread earlier on a way to utilize Electrolysis to clean the barrel!
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/210266/[/url]

I just started the battery charger on it this morning, and will post all my findings on a new thread.

Why work up a sweat, when you can safely remove all the rust,without removing any good metal with simple low cost method?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back