• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scammers and Payment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Bogus checks are becoming common.

Picked this up from the CLR site and thought I would share it. Everyone has how they want to be paid when selling, some want personal check and some USPS Money Order.

"Also be aware the bank may credit your account after about 5 days, but can still come back at you up to 25 days on a bad check This bit of info from a member on the Colt Forum. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!"

Shipping soon after a check clears may not be wise unfortunately. Seems now a USPS money order might be better.

Try crypto….done in seconds. Works awesome.

I have a crypto webpage that I use to receive crypto payments, but you can do everything off a digital wallet on your phone. PayPal now does crypto payments, and I believe VinMo is doing crypto as well.

Bogus checks are becoming common.

Picked this up from the CLR site and thought I would share it. Everyone has how they want to be paid when selling, some want personal check and some USPS Money Order.

"Also be aware the bank may credit your account after about 5 days, but can still come back at you up to 25 days on a bad check This bit of info from a member on the Colt Forum. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!"

Shipping soon after a check clears may not be wise unfortunately. Seems now a USPS money order might be better.
I got a fake cashiers check one time. I was suspicious from the beginning, so I didn't send out the item I was selling until the check had cleared. I got charged by the bank 6.00 I think, for them processing the bad check. I got a check from Carnegie Mellon University one time ( which I knew damn well was bogus instantly. The POS scammer tried telling me that the university owed him money, so he just got them to make the check out to me for this purchase. I guess he was use to dealing with some brain-dead ppl, but I wasn't one of them. There are fake money orders, western union, fake USPS money orders too. You have to be smarter than they are and be very cautious as well, or you WILL get burned nowadays.

SO the problem these days with a personal check..., your bank account and bank routing number are on the check. A forged check can then be made using that information.

IF you are going to use electronic funding... set up a transaction account.

An account at a bank that gives you a debit card, BUT it's not your main bank and not linked to any other accounts. You put money into that account and do your transaction, and if anybody tries to access the account further... insufficient funds. You can do this with a checking account AND get personal checks as well, and this will thwart somebody scamming a personal check from that account. You MUST, however, be sure the bank does NOT apply "overdraft protection" to the account, EVER.
I've been doing this for decades, from back in the days of 1-800-numbers and paper mail order catalogs, since I couldn't control what the folks at those companies did to keep bad guys from gaining my info from company records..., I've been "hit" several times, BUT since there is no money in the account unless I've just made a deposit, and that money only lasts a very short time from the deposit to my making a transaction..., there's miniscule chance of a bad guy getting cash, and the bank doesn't charge me as any "overdrafts" are illegal transactions.

I do this when travelling... my debit card and my wife's are from these type of accounts and we put half of the vacation trip money on my card, and half on hers, so we can't have our main account emptied, AND we can't get wiped out on our trip by a single scam on only one of our cards...

BEWARE Greater Funds checks. You agree to a transaction, but you get a check WAY over the amount. You agreed to $550.00 and the check comes in showing $5500.00 Personal Check or Business Check..., that's a stolen or scammed check. You contact the "buyer" who says, "OH sorry, they put too many zero's into that check. Tell ya what..., go ahead and use it, and send me back the rest. Keep an extra $100 for the trouble. Thanks." They don't know you at all but trust you with money that is 90% more than the agreed on price? IF you do what they ask, your bank will eventually tell you ooops that was a bad check, and they will want that $5500 back...,

LD

Looks like a 2 week wait before I would ship just to make sure I wasn't scammed. Thanks for that info also...
Yessir. A wise decision. I only accept Postal MO's for selling anything online, but I still do not send anything out until after the funds are credited to the bank acct.

Unfortunately, some of us are technically challenged and are down to either cash, checks or money orders.

We do not put credit cards numbers on the .www after having had them stolen.
In less then 10 years...it will be a reality for us all.

Course with the way the economy is going right now...the Great Reset could be only months away.

USPS is a good way to go because the post office will cash the checks that day if they have the cash on hand, if they are fake they won't cash, as long as you haven't shipped you item yet your not out anything. I have used PayPal a lot without any fraud, the key is to get paid first before shipping.

Thanks, learned something new, did not have any idea that the Post Office would cash their own money order.

I have question? If the post office does not have the money on hand to cash a MO, can they determine if the MO is legit?

I have question? If the post office does not have the money on hand to cash a MO, can they determine if the MO is legit?
In my case they did not have the $830 on hand, he verified it was good and said he would have the cash on hand if I came back the next day, which I did because I prefer keeping my bank out of the transaction.

Yes, at least mine does, very small office, never cashed one there but when I get one I go straight to the desk and she tells me it’s good, then I drive through the bank window and cash it, never received a fake one myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back