• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scammers and Payment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were to do such an exchange, I'd do it in a local Police, Sheriff department, or State Police parking lot.
You may be ok examining and buying a saxophone or cornet in a State Police barracks parking lot, but imagine doing same with a gun, even though it’s a muzzleloader, would draw the wrong kind of attention.

You may be ok examining and buying a saxophone or clarinet in a State Police barracks parking lot, but imagine doing same with a gun, even though it’s a muzzleloader, would draw the wrong kind of attention.
I doubt that's true around here, but I'd certainly ask the cops at the location. It's difficult for me to imagine any of those guys in my locale denying the request -- especially the Sheriff. But I've never tried it.

For over thirty years I delt with buckskinners and never had a bad check problem. Now I am down to postal money orders or cash.It seems like scammers have found out how trusting we are.
They probably think we're a bunch of naïve, over-trusting bumpkins. Because we believe in the "old ways" of doing things, where a fella's word was his bond.

You may be ok examining and buying a saxophone or cornet in a State Police barracks parking lot, but imagine doing same with a gun, even though it’s a muzzleloader, would draw the wrong kind of attention.
Yeah, sure ... it's obvious to me that you've never been told "Okay, drop the tuba and back away from it." But anyhow ...

Where would it NOT draw the wrong kind of attention nowadays in a "well lit public location" as described by B P Maniac?

I'd rather approach the police about possibly doing it in their venue and have them know what was going on -- instead of having one of them on routine patrol cruise through some store or mall parking lot and come across a couple of guys handling a firearm. Possibly you could find some gun club parking lot to do it in, but that usually isn't particularly convenient (and may not be possible if you're not a member). Maybe an Ag building? But for those who live in cities, there aren't many of those around -- and you kinda run into the same issue you anticipate having with the police.

I know that some years ago one of my sons bought and sold a number of guns this way (several rifles and handguns), and I think he used things like big box store parking lots. But I guarantee you there are places like that which absolutely won't work now. In the past few months I've been in both Lowes and Home Depot stores in my area when their theft alarm has gone off, and things start happening. And I noticed in one local Home Depot that they'd added some serious crash protection to their entry doors. There's a heightened degree of sensitivity in the "public locations" -- especially in the increasing number of them where crime (and shooting) has increased.

So for you guys who do this sort of thing in a "well lit public location," exactly what sort of locations do you use? And what have your actual experiences been with that? And I mean recently (not even just a few years ago).

It is a violation of the user agreement for Venmo, PayPal, Zelle, and many other cash apps to use them to purchase firearms and many other firearm-related items. If a site only accepts them as payment, that is a huge red flag that they are a scam. Using them provides you no recourse if it is a scam. They are no different than giving cash to a man in a trench coat in a dark alley with the promise that he will be back in 30 minutes with your percussion caps.

Thats why many forums are requiring a 25 post min before they can list anything in the classifieds. That only slightly delays the POS scammer though.

Needs to be done here, it's that way on the Modern site.

There are fake money orders, western union, fake USPS money orders too.

While the USPS sells USPA Money orders, they won't cash them.

BUT, they can certify the validity of a USPS M.O. if you take it to a P.O.

I do just that, before I ship whatever I'm selling.

I agree there should be a minimum post requirement (and I am a new guy) or require a paid membership to bypass the minimum posts. But, I have seen sleepers in other forums cultivate a relationship for over a year, commenting on posts, getting to 200 plus comments before posting fraudulent items. When confronted, he claimed to be a military vet with combat medals and can't believe he was being treated in such a manner. In the end, he was proven to have ripped photos from past online auctions, manipulating the images in an attempt to trick a google image search. These days you really have to be careful, trust no one, verify everything.

If you get a check from someone you don't know, take it to the bank and have them check to see if it will clear.
I agree with others, crypto is a scam, and if the internet ever goes down, so does your "money".

I have had great luck in all my dealing here and and on all the Trad bow sites it's put my mind at ease when you get a response "I'll do personals check money orders or PayPal FF "

If you get a check from someone you don't know, take it to the bank and have them check to see if it will clear.
I agree with others, crypto is a scam, and if the internet ever goes down, so does your "money".
Emphasis mine.

The largest transfer of wealth in history is about to take place, there is no way around it. Anti-Crypto Jerome Powell has even come to the realization...The banking system is terrified by crypto and DeFi because it renders them useless. A completely decentralized monetary system is very powerful in the hands of the people. CBDCs place handcuffs on the populace, it's what the banking & financial institutions want and are pushing for in the near future, before the reset happens.

I love this community and I do care very much about the people that frequent this site. You can choose to educate yourself and stay ahead of the wave, maybe even profit in the transfer...or be pulled under.

I would strongly advise really looking into the reality of what crypto actually is as a digital asset, before making these blatantly un-informed statements...

Last edited:
The current state of caution stems primarily from the SEC's position that almost all Digital Assets are Securities and the recent wave of lawsuits against crypto projects and exchanges...CoinBase sued last week for example. In 2018 the CFTC lawsuit determined that crytpos are currencies...The SEC under Gary Gensler, is really taking the side of the banking institutions and trying very hard to hurt the industry and much as possible. Let's see what happens with the SEC vs Ripple Lawsuit, they really bit off more than they can chew on that one. We may see the SEC lose its first major case, or most likely a complete capitulation in a settlement...meaning Ripple gets everything they want, they a pay token fine and become the first crypto to be completely vetted...Price explosion for those invested in XRP...out in the cold for those that are not...

Eventually congress needs to step in and do their job and pass legislation that leads to clarity...They can make America a World Leader (like they did with the internet), or render the US irrelevant in the eyes of the world markets.

Based on what gets passed in the next 18 months, we'll see which path gets chosen...I don't see things going beyond 18 months.

So yeah there's still a lot of speculation in the crypto market, 98% of the people in the world are currently completely uniformed and unaware...

Not all assets are mineable...most are considered POS Proof Of Stake...not POW Proof Of Work. I think we're about to find that POW doe not work...Hence ETHs huge push for ETH 2.0

Simple Basic Explanation of What is Crypto?:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back