• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Schutzen 3F thoughts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 12lbs of 3f Schuetzen from Grafs last year when they were doing the no haz and free shipping. I too only use GOEX but I was down to my last pound and started to panic. I had to up my charge by 10gr to get the same GOEX results, but it works great. Last fall 2023 at Friendship GOEX delivered a large shipment so I stocked up on that weekend, unfortunately this fall at Friendship they didn't have any 3F GOEX, the rep said they were getting some in on that Thursday but I was leaving that day so it didn't work out.

I should try the neatsfoot oil. Are you using the real McCoy or compound?

I get the 32 degrees. Grew up in the UP.
I use neatsfoot as well. Would recommend avoiding the "compound", which is largely mineral oil. If you wanted to use that, just buy mineral oil for a couple bucks a pint at the pharmacy (which is what I regularly use on my unmentionables). As I understand it, many of the commercial "gun oil" brands are really just mineral oil with a scent added (such as anise for Ballistol if I remember correctly).

Last edited:
I should try the neatsfoot oil. Are you using the real McCoy or compound?

I get the 32 degrees. Grew up in the UP.
I use the real deal. A fella on here, don't remember who, said it performs well in the cold. So I switched over. Haven't hunted with it yet. I probably use too much per patch. But, it loads nice and shoots nice. Cleaning is cleaning in my book. I enjoy cleaning my rifle nearly as much as shooting it. Its a good feeling knowing everything is in order when I grab it off the rack.

I use the real deal. A fella on here, don't remember who, said it performs well in the cold. So I switched over. Haven't hunted with it yet. I probably use too much per patch. But, it loads nice and shoots nice. Cleaning is cleaning in my book. I enjoy cleaning my rifle nearly as much as shooting it. Its a good feeling knowing everything is in order when I grab it off the rack.
Thanks, I appreciate the information. I think I have some of the real stuff somewhere. I remember reminding myself to get more for the winter "leather season".

I bought several pounds of Graf's nearly 2 years ago and have been shooting it along with a supply of old Goex. I've never bought Schuetzen unless it was in the Graf's cans. I have a little bit of Swiss 3F and really like it in my .32 SMR. I have yet to come across a "clean" black powder brand.

I tried my hand at Schuetzen powder again this morning. I changed up a few things: .480 ball instead of .490, 60 grains powder instead of 50, .015 patch instead of .010.

Better results, hit steel at 50 yds off hand a few times. In all fairness it's not the powder, as most of you likely guessed anyways. I have this flintlock dialed right in at 50 yds from a rest, so I know it shoots just fine. It has to be the shooter, something I'm doing whether it's a small flinch, not relaxed breathing, or whatever. But the good news is, those things can be remedied, and I got on target several times this morning. Relieved because I have lots of Schuetzen powder and easy to get more.

PhotoFunia-1728761252.jpg

I use neatsfoot as well. Would recommend avoiding the "compound", which is largely mineral oil. If you wanted to use that, just buy mineral oil for a couple bucks a pint at the pharmacy (which is what I regularly use on my unmentionables). As I understand it, many of the commercial "gun oil" brands are really just mineral oil with a scent added (such as anise for Ballistol if I remember correctly).
You know I just bought some 100% pure castor oil to try. I was also going to try avocado oil. One of the other guys on this forum said avocado oil had had high temperature stability. The TOW mink oil i have been using works fine. I just like experimenting with stuff.

"Schutzen 3F thoughts"​

It's good stuff, I use 3f in my 45cal and less, 2f in my 50cal and up.
Schuetzen I use the same load as I do GOEX but Swiss I lower the charge about 15%.

My thoughts, my preferences:
Swiss is best
Schuetzen seems to cost less then GOEX now but used to be the other way round.

I have not purchased any of the 'new' GOEX so I can't speak to it.
I do however still have a couple pounds of OE, I really like it but with them not making it any more; I just like looking at two full cans of it and dread the day I break down and use it up.

I changed stuff up today and got good Schuetzen results at 50-75 yds off hand with 70 grains of 3fg, a 480 ball and 010 patch. I’ll shoot that again tomorrow and see how it goes. Seemed to be a formula my flinter liked.
Yes sir it’s rarely the gun and mostly the nut behind the wheel when it comes to shooting .The 45 I used to have (2 of them) liked 80 grains if I remember but each one is like the misses kinda finicky you know .lol
Good luck with your shooting in gods country,I do miss them ole mountains.

Yes sir it’s rarely the gun and mostly the nut behind the wheel when it comes to shooting .The 45 I used to have (2 of them) liked 80 grains if I remember but each one is like the misses kinda finicky you know .lol
Good luck with your shooting in gods country,I do miss them ole mountains.
Where are you getting all the schuetzen powder from in the south .

Latest posts

Back