• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Screws for Colt Shoulder Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The fourth screw on each side of the receiver on the Colt Uberti 1860 that are for the shoulder stock, do they hold anything on the inside of the receiver? I don't think they do, but am not sure and I'd hate to pull them out and find I'd screwed up my pistol.

The reason I ask is the fourth screw on each side sticks out pretty far and interferes with my hand when I am shooting. I'd like to take them out and put in different screws.

Thanks,
Tom

They are there only to serve as supports for the removable shoulder stock.

There is nothing inside the frame for them to hold so they are just in simple threaded holes.

I don't know why you want to remove them but I guess that's your business, not mine.

I will say, before you try to remove them be sure to get a screw driver that exactly fits the slot in the screws.

A mangled screw slot due to someone using the wrong screw driver will stick out like a sore thumb and it will be the first thing that anyone notices when they look at your pistol.

Those screws on the replicas have a head that is about twice as thick as an original Colt has. I removed mine and recut the slot to nearly the base of the head then in a drill press filed down the head with a nice dome shape. Some sand paper and cold blue finished the job. Looks more like a real Colt and feels a lot better. Easy work too.

Because of the plow handle grips on an 1860 I don’t come in contact with the shoulder stock support screws when shooting those but on my Pietta 1861 I do come in contact with them. They’re a bit sharp and a distraction. I would like to replace them with screws that are flush with the frame. There is a technical/shop term for such a screw type, which I don’t recall. Is there such an item to use as a replacement on Pietta”˜s? Any suggestions?

Thanks, guys.

Long Johns Wolf, I wasn't aware Uberti offered those alternative screws. I find the ones they install on the 60 Armies and 61 Navies a bit too tall for me also. Hope VTI has them.

Long Johns Wolf, I thought I was the only person who didn't know how to post pictures!! :idunno: I still appreciate the response.

Back