• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Semolina filler in a single shot pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CKeshen said:
...I pour semolina equivalent to the volume of the black powder between the powder and the ball."
In America, we wouldn't usually waste good wheat products. Plentiful and basically worthless is a tasteless ground corn animal feed some kinds of people, you know what I mean, actually make their children eat called "grits" -- that can be used as well to take up space, etc.

I'm with Alden....corn meal is CHEAP and works just as well. I have used it to space ROA loads for years. (I do love grits though being a good southern boy) :grin:

Alden said:
In America, we wouldn't usually waste good wheat products. Plentiful and basically worthless is a tasteless ground corn animal feed some kinds of people, you know what I mean, actually make their children eat called "grits" -- that can be used as well to take up space, etc.
As a Pennsylvanian who was once assigned to a duty station in Georgia while in the Navy, I have to say that it is better to fire grits from the barrel of a muzzleloader than have to eat the stuff.

Is the semolina, cream of wheat, or grits poured directly onto the powder charge or is something used to separate it ? and does this also work in a rifle?

I put mine right on top. Have never thought to try in a rifle, but may soon, trying to get a .36 CVA Bobcat grouped in and will try all patchs, powder, lubes and now cornmeal! :stir:

Black Jack said:
LOL. No offense intended. :haha:
None taken! That's just one I found to keep Alden on the straight-and-narrow...figured I'd whip it out again! :wink: :rotf:

CKeshen said:
I was reading a page on the Pedersoli website about the Le Page pistol and they quote Stefano Caruso, the Italian shooter who won the gold medal in the Kuchenreuter discipline shooting a Le Page in .36. He states "I usually load 10.8 grains (0,7 g approximately) of Swiss powder N. 1 and round ball .354 (8,99 mm), patch thickness .007” (0,18 mm) lubed with few drops of Dunlubri oil. I pour semolina equivalent to the volume of the black powder between the powder and the ball."

I understand the use of filler in a revolver, but what does the filler do for you in a single shot pistol?
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/no...le-page-percussion-and-flintlock-pistols.html

It's not COW that the shooter is using to win "Gold", it is mastering the 3 fundamentals of pistol shooting. There are no secrets to becoming a winner, they are well know, mastering them is the way to the top of the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard - I was not trying to insinuate that the use of semolina was the key to Mr. Caruso's success. I was just trying to be enlightened as to what role the semolina was playing in the shot chain he was using.

What are the 3 fundamentals you are referring too?

CKeshen,

The three (3) fundaments of pistol shooting:

1. First is proper sight alignment.
2. Second is trigger control.
3. Last is holding still.

Seems to me everyone thinks there are some magical things Master and High Master pistol shooters have kept secret from others and do not share.

Nope, they have 3 things they have mastered: proper sight alignment, trigger control and holding still. It is that simple, that is all that there is to becoming a top pistol shooter, oh some hard work is needed to get there.

I talked with a very successful High Master pistol shooter in 2008 and asked him where can I go to read and learn about pistol shooting. He pointed me in the right direction and I have accumulated a lot of information about pistol shooting.

My scores are going up and improving from
what I have read and by the mentoring of some really nice pistol shooters at the top of their game.

There are no secrets, 3 things to master and a lot of hard work brings rewards. It's nice at the end of a weeks worth of shooting when the High Masters find you at the awards ceremony and say, "you did well".

Richard - Those are certainly good basic principles to follow for successful pistol shooting.

Just to give it some nuance I might add the following:

1) Proper stance - which aids is sight alignment
2) Proper grip - which aids in trigger control
3) Proper breathing - which aids in keeping steady

I started shooting pistols about 4 years ago after spending about 10 years shooting sporting clays (which I still do). I am generally in the top 3 or 4 shooters at our local club tournaments - sometimes number 1 or 2. It has taken a lot of work and practice to hone my skills, but I am considered one of the better shooters at our club.

Not bad for a guy who started shooting pistols at age 57.

You are right, there is NOT a lot of magic in being a good pistol shooter, but sometimes we have problems applying the basic principles.

After you have learned the proper shooting techniques, applying them in a consistent manner becomes the challenge, and that is what separates the "good" shooters from the "great" ones.

Just my 2 cents.

colorado clyde said:
How about a smoothbore?
If anything, use of a filler is much more common for SB pistol shooters at the World Championship level.

Back