• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SETTING UP WALL TENT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what kind of set up you have. I have a modern wall 12X14 tent with an internal frame. To set it up by myself, I put the ridge/roof portion of the frame together but leave the legs off. Put the legs inside the assembled portion of the frame near their respective positions.
Next, pull the tent over the frame and adjust it to the roofline. Crawl under the tent and lift one corner with your shoulder and place the leg in position. Move down that side of the tent, lifting and placing the legs as you go. Once one side is done, move to the other and repeat. Once the tent is up on the frame, adjust and stake as necessary.
Not sure how you'ld handle it if your tent has support poles directly under the ridgeline

Option 1.

Lay the tent out on the location and peg down two corners on one side. Set the wall pole and line on these two corners.

slide in the ridgepole and uprights.

pull the assembled ridgepole and uprights toward the two pegged corners until the bottom of the uprights is in the position they will occupy when the tent is erected.

set a tent peg in the ground against the bottom of the uprights to prevent them from slipping.

take a long piece of rope and tie a loop in each end. Place the loop over the top pins of the uprights.

Place yourself in the middle of the line and back up, pulling the ridgepole and uprights into a standing position in the opposite direction from the pegged corners.

Peg the line to the ground with a tent peg.

Go about finishing your set up, make all of the adjustments needed and when finished remove the line and extra pegs.

Option 2.

Ask for help when you get there. There is usually someone sitting around that is wiling to give a hand with a ridgepole. Most times you don't have to ask, it's considered good camp manners. Offering something cold to drink will fetch you a camp buddy for the duration of the stay.

Option 3.

If you are absolutely alone and there is no one to help, think about triming your load and taking a diamond shelter.

ghost said:
Lay the tent out on the location and peg down two corners on one side. Set the wall pole and line on these two corners.

slide in the ridgepole and uprights.

pull the assembled ridgepole and uprights toward the two pegged corners until the bottom of the uprights is in the position they will occupy when the tent is erected.

set a tent peg in the ground against the bottom of the uprights to prevent them from slipping.

take a long piece of rope and tie a loop in each end. Place the loop over the top pins of the uprights.

Place yourself in the middle of the line and back up, pulling the ridgepole and uprights into a standing position in the opposite direction from the pegged corners.

Peg the line to the ground with a tent peg.

Go about finishing your set up, make all of the adjustments needed and when finished remove the line and extra pegs.

That's how it's done. :thumbsup:

Agreed, a good old plan.

Nothing like a roomy wall tent, (high side walls) with a roof vented wood burning stove, it beomes more like home than a just a tent.

Well, My buddy that usualy goes with me backed out the last minute. My wife and little girl was going so
I couldn't use a small tent.
So when I got there and started setting up my wife an little girl walked off to see camp. Soon as they left some fella showed up and offered a hand.
I have been shooting bp and camping primative for quite a few years yet I always am amazed a the quality of the people in this hobby.
This was only the second event My wife and little girl have been to. They both had a great time.
My little girl is 4 years old and cried when we packed up to leave. To say she had fun was an understatment.

Great, glad all went well. You are right about a great bunch of folks who are drawn to our hobby.

The wee one of yours will come to treasure good times spent with family on such outings. We still enjoy looking over the family photos from rondys and camping starting well over 30 years ago, shining times they were.

sounds like all had a good time.. Rondys are a good place for kidlets I think...sounds like its time to teach the wife and kidlet how to help set up camp :winking:

DH and I set our wall tent and camp up together..keeps things exciting :rotf: and there are always a few extra hands to help.. which is nice..

Cookie said:
DH and I set our wall tent and camp up together..keeps things exciting :rotf:

Don't it though!

I have seen couples nearly come to blows over sitting up camp. Some folks are a trip to watch, you could sell tickets!

'course that don't happen with me and my wife. I know the magic words....

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

!!!Yes Dear!!!

Ghost, you are so right. When it's hot, the canvas isn't going the right way, and men being as stubborn as they are, I'm suprised there hasn't been domestic violence reported out in the camp! If they would only learn as well as you did, everything would be ok.

We camp next to a lady in her 70's and she always travels alone, either with a wall tent or a one pole and her store. She always has help no matter where she goes. It is just good manners to help someone out.

I must be hilaroius to watch set up.
I stake the 4 corners of my 12x14",next it lift the side poles,the work the uprites and ridge pole a lttle at a time front and back.That way I can put it up by myself and I do not snap a pole.After 9 yrs my Wife still does not know the sequensce.Yet,we are one of "Those couples".Surpised She has not hawked me yet :rotf:

Latest posts

Back