• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shelf life of black power

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srottman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
In a general discussion today, another person told me today, that he was told after about year black power starts to lose its velocity and accuracy. Have never heard such a thing. So whats the word and comments

Hogwash!

If stored properly, dry and not exposed to excessive heat for long periods, black powder is good forever and a day.

HD

BP if stored properly will last dern near 4ever. smokeless will degrade over time, but tight sealing and cool temps keeps it viable for many years.

One of my buddy's who reciently passed on to greener pastures bought a vintage 1820'ish rifle. It still had a ball stuck in it and powder. He pulled the ball from the rusty barrel and the powder ignited. Now was the powder in there for 100 odd years? who know's, but powder keeps for a long time.

Regards

I think someone was just killed last year by an exploding Civil War projectile that he had dug up and stored. 100+ years underground plus whatever time above ground and still exploded. Sounds like it lasts pretty good.

Many Klatch

Black powder is a mixture not a compound where the various basic parts combine with one another so the question is how long does charcoal, sulfur and salt peter last?

The answer is that if it is kept dry and stored at temperatures below 150 degrees F, damn near forever.

If it is left open to the atmosphere where the charcoal can absorb the moisture in the air it may seem to loose some power but that is only because the water tends to cool the charcoal during ignition. If it is dried it will be as good as it ever was.

Loyd, I totally agree with you guys I am getting back into black power after 20 years absents and do not ever recall that being a problem. I recently read an article on one of Robert E Lees revolvers that had been found loaded and they fired off all cylinder. The person I was speaking with said it will fire but it loses its accuracy. I am not a believer in that but I dont consider my self an expert, so I thought I would see what others have to say or experienced .Thanks for all your input

I've had a can sitting on the shelf for about 20 years. Cracked it open, loaded it up and touched it off. Loss of accuracy? Depends on who's pulling the trigger. :wink:
This stuff will out last me! :grin:

I recently acquired some Goex 2f and 3f originally purchased in 1969. Quible at my math, but I'm going to call it 40 years old. It's spent its whole life in our wet climate, though stored indoors at stable temps. One can each of 2f and 3f were opened the year of purchase and have been sitting along with the factory sealed cans. I couldn't detect any difference between them and the original sealed cans, much less new powder.

40 year life is good enough for me, cuzz in another 40 years there's no doubt I will be eating dirt.

I think that some of those modern black powder substitutes like the kind that comes in the white jar that is citrus based and gray in appearance loses its potency when exposed to air. Since it can be used interchangeably with black, maybe this is where the notion got started.

I was just watching something on the History Channel about pirates. The people who salvage old pirate and sailing ship wrecks in general use extreme caution when restoring them cannons they dredge up as the majority of them are loaded. That's enough to convince me that the shelf life of the charge is a long long time.

I'm a centimental old fart and keep stuff occasionally that has special memories for me. Anyway, I have an old can of powder from the 70's that was given to me when I first started out, one of a case. It found it's way out of an old trunk a few years ago and I tried a measure full for old times sake. Fired as good as new.

To give you an idea, recovered black powder explosive shells from the civil war are still hot!

Old powder, if even soaked with water, once dried out will go boom!

Heck, I saw one shooter using percussion caps from the 1880's, and they still worked!

It will last forever! The stuff is made from charcoal, sulfur and potassium nitrate then mixed with water into a mud then dried out in a cake and carefully ground to its granulation. So if its made with water that means water cant even kill it, just as long as its dried out before use.

srottman said:
The person I was speaking with said it will fire but it loses its accuracy.
I suggest that the person you were speaking with is the one that still fires but with reduced accuracy. :wink:

tell the fellow that that's completely true, but there's this guy in Vermont who'll take the dangerous and unstable explosive off his hands for free...

no, really, BP will last, as G.F. Handel said "Forever, and Ever, Hallajuella!"

Latest posts

Back