• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting a pocket navy vs an 1851 navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lots of discussion on the plus/minus between a Colt 44 (army) and a 36 Colt 1851 or 1861 (navy) but does anyone have experience with a 'pocket navy' 1862 Colt vs the "full size" 1851 or 1861 navy? I have heard that the smaller frame of the 1862 tends to result in shooting high for some folks. The '51 works great for me but a '62 keeps whispering to me..........

Howdy, funny coincidence I was shooting my Uberti 1851 Navy 36 today. It shot @ 5-6 " high with 15-20 grains of 3f but I was able to file doen the tip of the hammer. It shouldn't affect teh nipple strike area and now shoots point of aim at 25 yds. I have a medium to med/large hand 71/2 to 8 glove size. The 51 fits exactly. I had a 36 pocket police with 5 1/2 barrel 12 years ago. great little thing shot 1 foot high at 25 but the noticeable "problem" was it was too darm small. My lower palm and little finger had trouble hanging on to nothing. It shot great, if memory serves resting on a blue jean sandbag it put them into @2" at 25yds, don't remember the load probably @ 15 grains. Hope it helps

I've fired both 51 & 61 Navies as well as the 62 pocket navy with the 4 1/2" barrel. They all handle well, and in my experience will shoot a little high. I didn't care for the short barrel on the pocket navy but I believe that Uberti carries three barrel lengths - 4 1/2, 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 - you might consider that when making your decision. My fave is the 61 Navy (7 1/2" barrel) and I did the same as cmdrted by filing the hammer groove a little.

The 62's are sweet little pieces, built on the 49 frame. I have 2 of em, a 5 1/2 and a 6 1/2.
Yes they all shoot high...till ya file the hammer notch...no problem.....they are 2/3's the size of the full size and if you have large hands the grip will take some time getting used to..
My hands medium size and the grip leave the pinky 1/2 bare...I DONT MIND the grip feel...
I love the fluted cylinder look. They will shoot the conicals from a FIE mold quite well, but you must enlarge the loading port hole a little bit . This is easy with a dremmel tool.....then the FIE conicals load vey easily.
My 5 1/2 62 was produced in 2003 and the 6 1/2
was made in 1978, both are Uberti....I would advise you to get one ( or 2 )...You will love it.
I purchased both of mine from gunbroker and got the quite a bit cheaper than the current market price.....they definitely fill a place in My collection.

I've also considered buying the pocket navy. I have an 1848 pocket which is a nice accurate pistol but constantly gets hang ups from cap fragments. How does the pocket navy handle busted caps?

Don

My 62's have no problem with cap frags....not yet anyway.. I think it has alot to do with you wrist action after the shot....I mean I both raise the pistol and swing it out to the right while recocking...this helps throw the busted cap out of the gun and away from the hammer notch....
no hang ups when ya cock this way.

Coot said:
Lots of discussion on the plus/minus between a Colt 44 (army) and a 36 Colt 1851 or 1861 (navy) but does anyone have experience with a 'pocket navy' 1862 Colt vs the "full size" 1851 or 1861 navy? I have heard that the smaller frame of the 1862 tends to result in shooting high for some folks. The '51 works great for me but a '62 keeps whispering to me..........

The pocket models hold less powder than the 51 in my experience but apparently used the same cartridges back in the day.
Almost all percussion revolvers, if made with original contour sights, are sighted for 50 yards or even beyond so are high at 20-25.
The pocket model was designed as a concealed carry type revolver for general use the 1860 is the best of the lot IMO.
But I like the 62 police a lot too. If you like percussion revolvers you should own one at least once.

Dan

Dan Phariss said:
Coot said:

The pocket models hold less powder than the 51 in my experience but apparently used the same cartridges back in the day.
Almost all percussion revolvers, if made with original contour sights, are sighted for 50 yards or even beyond so are high at 20-25.
The pocket model was designed as a concealed carry type revolver for general use the 1860 is the best of the lot IMO.
But I like the 62 police a lot too. If you like percussion revolvers you should own one at least once.

Dan

+1 on what Dan said about the sights. You can work with the rear hammer notch if you want to get it close, or closer.

I think the 62 pocket navy is the best shooting of all the pocket revolvers that Colt manufactured. It's a few ounces heavier than the 62 pocket police. I really like the looks of the pocket police but I shoot the navy a better.

You really should have one of each. Some how I have collect seven different pocket frame Colts, they are my favorites.

Thanks to all for the input/suggestions. I guess that the "small voice" was heard as I am the winning bidder on a 2nd gen. Colt 1862 pocket navy............

Back