• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting way low!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone want to think about what this approach may result in regarding accuracy and group size at other distances?

FYI, this is a post I made on our club page this morning.

On inspecting barrels
Apparently, there is little knowledge of what you are looking at, when you look through the bore of a firearm.
I learned how to inspect a barrel at the Bauska Rifle Barrel, Co., from Les Bauska.
He told me the way to train your eye, is to first look through a shotgun barrel. You will see concentric circles the length of the barrel.
These are light bars, and there are somewhere around 100,000 per inch.
On any good barrel, you will see these are all concentric for the length of the barrel.
On a crooked barrel, you can see the light bars are oblong in the bad part of the barrel. They will show you which direction
a barrel needs bent to correct things.
This holds true on a rifle barrel, although it is a bit more difficult to read for some. Some never can be trained to see it. The bore of the barrel is a polished smooth cylinder, just like the smoothbores. The rifling is added after the bore is done.
You can train yourself to see the light bars, even with the rifling. Rough rifling is inconsequential, as long it is not cutting patches. Shoot it smooth, or lap it.
I've been the barrel inspector for three gun companies. I was able to teach some, but they were not common.
So, that gives you an idea of how to see if a barrel is straight. If you can't see and understand what you are seeing, you are
swinging blindfolded if you need to bend the barrel.

Short and sweet: I bent the barrel up and to the right, now my rear sight is down on the barrel and I'm dead on at 25 yards.

Super. Glad its fixed.

Sometimes you gotta resort to drastic action to correct a problem.

For years i tried to cure my toenail fungus with no luck. Finally bought a new pair of rubber boots, poured a pint of 3 percent peroxide in each boot and wore them every day for about one hour, changing the peroxide often. After two months the fungus was gone.

... if you can't see and understand what you are seeing, you are swinging blindfolded if you need to bend the barrel.
Well good for you, but that comment is just NOT applicable here ... as if one goes to bend an otherwise 'straight' barrel that needs to be bent in order to move the point of impact, it CAN be done in a controlled and measured manner. It may not be done visually, as you suggest, but it can be done quite successfully!

NOTE we are doing the opposite of what you were doing at the barrel companies. The OP had a known measurement, impacting 18" low. I provided him with detailed info to make their own bending jig, from which repeatable measurements 'before and after' could be taken. Then, yes ... they'd need to re-stock the arm and fire again to see what change it had on paper. These measurements, while 'real' numbers, may only be 'relative' to each other ... but the point of impact can be correctly and successfully adjusted.

Tight groups!

Frontiers exactly how do you want me to fix that rear sight? I believe you think it's turned around backwards but look at it close. If I turned it around and then turned the sight piece around like you said in an earlier post I will be looking at whole length of the fiber optic tubes, not just the ends. Like this - II instead of this - oo . But thanks for trying to help.View attachment 125963
Installed properly or reversed; in my 25 years of shooting at different BP venues, I have never seen a sight like that. Seems incredibly tall for a rear sight. Glad you got the problem corrected though.

Back