• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting way low!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be that at some time, the rifle fell to the ground, and landed on the end portion of the barrrel and the butt. A long barrel could build lots of energy just slipping off a resting place and landing on two widely spaced points, resulting in a slightly bent barrel, particularly if it is swamped. Try stretching a guitar string or fishing line tightly along each flat in turn to see if there is a bend. the string should lay the same way on all of them. If there is a gap in the middle, the barrel is bent that way. You should be able to bend it back fairly easily. If the barrel is swamped, you will have to be able to compare the width of the gaps on at least the top and bottom flats; automotive feeler guages might help with that.

Have you thought of contacting the manufacturer and telling them your story. See what they say. They may give you advice on a solution to the problem, they may say,,Well that's life. Or they might even say"ship it to us and we will check it out and maybe they might even replace it. You have absolutely nothing to lose.

With it being a second hand gun made in the 80's I doubt they would talk to me. They don't make them like this anymore. Thanks though.

First thing, pull the barrel and check to see if true and not bent on a flat surface.

Sounds like it's grouping well, even in it's current condition. I would get a correct rear sight you want, then and only then bend the barrel ever so slightly.
I had a rifle giving me a fit, and a smack of the barrel up against and oak corrected my problem.

Just do a little at a time, reinstall and check it.

First thing, pull the barrel and check to see if true and not bent on a flat surface.
So easy. So quick.

I think I should shoot it at least once with good charge behind it before I take the barrel out. 60 grains maybe.
So determined. But hey. Maybe shooting it with reasonable sights and a reasonable charge, might show some reasonable results. 😂

At 25yds the difference in POI between a 25gr charge and a 90gr charge is about .5" to .6". At 100yds the difference is about 10" to 11". Those are ball park numbers based on 1100fps with 25gr, and 1900fps with 90gr and a BC of .0621. At 25 yards there just isn't that much drop. With a charge that only produced 500fps a .45 round ball would drop about 4.5" +/- at 25 yds. That's a long way from the reported drop of 18".

Last edited:
At 2100fps +/- bullet drop is essentially zero. Ruling out squib loads, at 25yds the most drop that can be attributed to velocity is 4.5" to 5" inches, and the least drop is zero inches (at about 120gr). If a gun barrel is straight, it cannot shoot above the bore axis. I believe it is impossible to raise the POI 18" at 25yds by increasing the powder charge. Put another way, at 25 yds if you took the sights off the barrel, clamped it in a vise, drew a heavy black line horizontaly across the target, and sighted across the top flat of the barrel: a 120gr charge will put the ball about .25" below the line, 80gr charge will be about .5" low, 25gr charge will be about 1" below the line.

You could hypothetically put a 300gr charge in the barrel, it will still never shoot above that dark horizontal line on the target - Unless there is mechanical damage to the barrel.

And fix the rear sight
Frontiers exactly how do you want me to fix that rear sight? I believe you think it's turned around backwards but look at it close. If I turned it around and then turned the sight piece around like you said in an earlier post I will be looking at whole length of the fiber optic tubes, not just the ends. Like this - II instead of this - oo . But thanks for trying to help.
1646423771342.png

take a pic of the rifle so i can see the direction of the sight along with the lock area. The low part of the ramp, needs to be facing your eye.

Could be that at some time, the rifle fell to the ground, and landed on the end portion of the barrrel and the butt. A long barrel could build lots of energy just slipping off a resting place and landing on two widely spaced points, resulting in a slightly bent barrel, particularly if it is swamped. Try stretching a guitar string or fishing line tightly along each flat in turn to see if there is a bend. the string should lay the same way on all of them. If there is a gap in the middle, the barrel is bent that way. You should be able to bend it back fairly easily. If the barrel is swamped, you will have to be able to compare the width of the gaps on at least the top and bottom flats; automotive feeler guages might help with that.
this is the usual result of a fall as you describe. possible i suppose to bend a barrel but my experience is the wood would go first.
20210805_144351.jpg

Back