• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting way low!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, take a buddy to the range just to remove the possibility of human error.

Also check to see if the barrel is already bent. It just might need unbending.

If after that you have nothing to lose in bending the barrel. But you should check out the internet for possible real instructions on actual results. Cause while I guess the bend should be closer to the muzzle end, it is just a guess. It would be very nice to learn more then what you are getting here for advice. You are lucky to have this problem, because you will most likely be more knowledgeable and be able to answer this question yourself for someone else down the road.

Unless I missed it , no one has mentioned the crown , if the muzzle crown is not even the exiting bullet will veer away from the low spot . Before you go bending the barrel check the crown , or have some one check it for you . These low spots can be caused by the ram rod /cleaning rod wearing part of the crown . The sights are on back to front but that is not the cause. If you can remove the breach plug , or someone can do it for you , take it out then set it up so you can look through the barrel , a portable vice of some kind will help you maintain a steady hold , , if the barrel is bent you will not get concentric circles of light , they will be more like crescent moons . While you can look through the barrel , take the time to bore sight it at say 25 yards , 50 would be better , center your target in the bore then check your sights against what you see, move the sights so they center on the target if needed . A bore light is no real help in this case , neither is a laser . it only aligns the last 2" .
Cutting V notches on either end of a strong cardboard box will make a useful steady .

Last edited:
I believe I have the same rifle. The barrels on the older Pedersoli's are an odd size, mine falls between 3/4" and 13/16". If run-out was bad at the muzzle it would be pretty obvious and the OP didn't remark about it. Because of the wall thickness on a .45, the most run-out possible at the breech is 1/8" or less. At 25yds the largest possible change in POI caused by run-out should be around 3.5", plus the drop from the ball and powder combo - which should be minimal at that range. Still along ways from the 18" reported by OP. Makes you wonder what's up with that barrel.

I believe I have the same rifle. The barrels on the older Pedersoli's are an odd size, mine falls between 3/4" and 13/16". If run-out was bad at the muzzle it would be pretty obvious and the OP didn't remark about it. Because of the wall thickness on a .45, the most run-out possible at the breech is 1/8" or less. At 25yds the largest possible change in POI caused by run-out should be around 3.5", plus the drop from the ball and powder combo - which should be minimal at that range. Still along ways from the 18" reported by OP. Makes you wonder what's up with that barrel.
Nice to see the the math. And there's a lot to wonder about since basically everyone has been going on a cloud of assumptions (and descriptions assumed to be accurate) centered around a pretty strange-looking rear sight. But if the barrel has been bent, that should be pretty easy to see with a decent straight-edge, shouldn't it? In fact, by exterior geometric means alone you can determine pretty much everything of interest about the barrel and bore geometry EXCEPT whether the bore is exactly colinear with the barrel -- and with some additional work you could probably come close to determining that. Plus ... how far off colinearity would it have to be to make an 18" difference in impact at that distance? I think Nor'Easter's post here works towards addressing that question.

So I guess my point here is that by purely external geometric means you can tell definitively if the barrel is already bent. If it's NOT bent, AND if the muzzle/crown appears okay (Do we even know this? And how much difference COULD it make?), AND the data we've been provided has been gathered by shooting the gun from a solidly supported bench rest position (to avoid shooter error), AND the sights are in fact as described, THEN about the only thing left is lack of alignment of the bore with the barrel. But again, NorÉaster's post indicates that wouldn't explain the magnitude of the deviance.

But there are things in here that are still assumptions. We've never even seen a picture of the front sight and muzzle (Why is that, since it's been requested several times?), and so far as we know, the only way the rifle has been fired is offhand (Why is that? It's NOT an approach any sane person takes to resolving a problem like this.). Hence my earlier suggestion about Münchausen by Proxy (and if you don't get that at this point, I think you never will 😂; so let it slide).

How about the hypothesis that the barrel has previously been bent (don't check it, just assume it as a lot of other things have been assumed here) AND the bore also isn't colinear with the barrel. So that allows a narrative that the barrel was originally manufactured with the bore out of line with the barrel, and THAT resulted in someone bending it at some point, and THAT could explain the huge deviance in point of impact. I like that story. It has no empirical support at the moment, but it sort of hangs together. And it provides for a speedy resolution: take the gun to the dump. Life's too short to try to fix that mess. 😂😂 Problem solved.

Last edited:
Doubleset, bless your heart, it’s been said several times that I’m shooting from a bench with a good rest and stacking balls in the same hole. Here’s your front sight pic that has been described several times too.
D98BCFC7-7AB6-474C-82D0-8C6A74486943.jpeg
EBF5E4CA-D4EF-4CC9-AE0A-7A27E74F3966.jpeg
EB0EF09A-F500-4560-BE84-B7D04AF0D23D.jpeg

Doubleset, bless your heart
You think I don't know what that means? 😂😂

woodsnwater said:
it’s been said several times that I’m shooting from a bench with a good rest and stacking balls in the same hole.
You're right. I missed that.

woodsnwater said:
Here’s your front sight pic that has been described several times too.

Thanks. But a description is not a picture. This is the first picture we've seen of it. That front sight, together with that tall and peculiar rear sight, makes me wonder what sort of cheek weld and head position you're having on the gun when you fire. That could really skew the results. If you're getting your head up above that top sight somehow and then pulling the front down to align it with the rear notch, you'd be shooting way low. Just a thought. I've recently gone through something like that in trying to get a full buckhorn to work for me. Finally gave up because I couldn't get a reliable and repeatable sight picture given the height of the rear sight and the comb of the rifle. Went back to the stock sights.

I also wonder, just for grins, what the result would be if you take the sights off and just sight down the top barrel flat at, say, 20 yds. Or try a few shots with just the front sight, as on a shotgun. With a comfortable and sensible cheek weld on the stock.

But maybe better to have someone else look at it closely at this point. I'd hand them the whole gun and not just the pulled barrel.

E0EDE77B-146B-4DF7-98DB-CA81B8077FB4.jpeg

I believe he reported this is the height required to make hits to point of aim, with a front sight height of 1/8". That's how I calculated where the bore axis is pointed at 25yds, which was about 30" above where the sights are pointed.

Last edited:
Its backward. Turn the base the other way around, the low end of the base, toward your eye. Then you need to take the upper section that contains the fiber optics, and turn it around

Back