• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shoots excellent but LOW

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Im still stuck at 25 yards with my 58cal cva mountain rifle. Im shooting 100 grains Pyrodex RS and cutting one big hole. The problem is, ive filed my front sight down to .165!!! Im STILL 4" low at 25 yards.
I put this rear sight on as it offers great sight picture and is clear but dear lord! Im running out of front sight! http://trackofthewolf.com/(S(ki4bj...Id=14&subId=167&styleId=764&partNum=RS-DRU-BH

I dont really feel the need to bump the charge up anymore as im getting excellent accuracy and my shoulder doesnt hurt to much.

Any ideas? I hope i can use this style of rear sight, its perfect for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd buy new (tall) sights and start out fresh. You already have your tack-driving load. Now all you have to do is match the sights to it.

HD

uggggh this makes me sick. I moved out to 58 yards, my first shot was a slight hangfire and my next 2 shots were less than 1/2" apart and dead center but 7" low.

So you guys think i need a taller rear sight?

Yup, or keep on filing your front sight.

If your sights are about 21 inches apart, to raise a 7 inch error in the group you would have to remove 0.082 from the front sigtht or increase the rear sights height by 0.082.

To raise the group at 25 yards 4 inches with the same 21 inches between the sights you would have to remove 0.093 from the front sight.

Splitting the difference between these if you remove 0.088 it should be hitting just about dead center.
These values are very close to 3/32 of an inch (.09375) so that would leave .072 of your front sight untouched.

By the way, that would be VERY PC. If you ever look at any of the old guns you will see that almost every one of them has a front sight that is that tall.

i'll post a pic of what this front sight looks like once i finish shooting :haha: I'll call it a toothpick sight.

80 and 90gr charges dont shoot no where as tight so my other choice, besides switching sights is to just add more powder. My patches are coming out in perfect shape.

I'll bet 70-80 grains of 3F Goex will shoot great. Adding more powder will make it shoot even lower.

No goex for me. Its to long of a drive and i dont like to spend that much $$$ in one outing by ordering it.
I have my 54 hawken to play with until the new sights come in. I actually got it to shoot 4" low at 58 yards but the front sight is now blurry and hard to see. Ruins the point :haha:

Mark Lewis said:
I'll bet 70-80 grains of 3F Goex will shoot great. Adding more powder will make it shoot even lower.

I too am waiting to see an explanation of how more powder will make it shoot lower.

With that heavy ball there is probably a prettty good arc in the tradjectory, you might try getting closer to the ground and turning the gun upside down it may raise the point of impact :confused:

I know most people I know who use pyro use the P in their rifles

My Dickert flinter shoots 3 inches high at 50yds. with 80grs.of 3f and dead on with 70grs.of 3f same patch same ball. don`t know why but that`s the way it shoots.

I know these BP guns can be quirky but isn't it true that, all other things being equal, the faster a projectile is moving the less it will drop over a given distance.

Maybe folks are flinching less with the lower charges :rotf:

Kentuckywindage said:
80 and 90gr charges dont shoot no where as tight so my other choice, besides switching sights is to just add more powder. My patches are coming out in perfect shape.
Limiting yourself to reduced powder charges in a big powerful .58cal rifle as a way to fix this problem is definitely not the correct approach. You should be able to use at LEAST the typical published load data of up to 120grns Goex 2F and even if reducing the powder charge would appear to remedy the problem it would only be a cover-up for the root cause, which is what you really need to get to.
You might have started out with a set of mis-matched sights...but then again...it may well be that you have a bent barrel.

shot great with the original mtn rifle sights. I just hated the cheap look to them, Plus the rear sight i had issues with, made my eye sight go fuzzy.

I'll take a look at TOW and see if i can find something that i like. I have a few other rifles to play with till then. Really excited about this 58!

A lot of powder is never needed. Most loads I see posted here are twice the amount that should be used. It's the mark of a novice.

Capt. Fred said:
I know these BP guns can be quirky but isn't it true that, all other things being equal, the faster a projectile is moving the less it will drop over a given distance.

Maybe folks are flinching less with the lower charges :rotf:

A faster projectile will always shoot lower. I've witnessed it many times. It has nothing to do with drop.

Kentuckywindage said:
shot great with the original mtn rifle sights.
Great..no barrel problem...just match up the old sight dimensions to any new sights that appeal to you

Back