• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shoots excellent but LOW

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on how your barrel is pinned or keyed; you could put a shim of leather under the end of the barrel and see if it will raise the impact enough and it still shoots good. If it does; then glass bed a raised pad at the forearm tip. Otherwise you need a taller rear sight or find a way to shim the other one up somehow.

Ughh, I know that problem. I either have to wear my glasses or move the sight further down the barrel.Far sighted eyes.

Kentuckywindage said:
the rear sight is fuzzy with my eye sight so thats why i changed them out. Have the same problem with my cabelas hawken which will get fiber optics.

I have a lot of my rifles getting to the fuzzy rear sight condition. Can't be my age can it? :grin:

One thing that helped me is a piece of black tape with a small hole in it on my glasses. I use the smallest punch on a rotary leather punch for the hole. Being cheap I'm using the tape rather than coughing up for a stick on aperture. It does make a lot of difference. I can now see the rear sight like I did when I was thirty.

Kentuckywindage said:
they just arent as clear as these. Plus the sight i put on looks great. I'll figure something out.

You are ALL overthinking this............

If the old sights worked before & the new sights make the rifle shoot way low, Obviously the sights are a different height. Put on sights sights the same height, rear sight groove the same depth, hold the sight the same on the target = same POI.

Forget about powder charge, patches, velocity,arc, drop, gravity, etc. The old sights worked, the new one don't, they are a dif height.

:thumbsup:

Let me solve this for you WINDAGE,,,send me the rifle,,,i'll shoot it for a few years get it sighted in for me...i mean you and send it back,,,all ready for you,,,

Not thinking is sorta like sleeping. There's plenty of time for that after you're dead.

im thinkin... 'Bout finding a sight that looks like the one i have on now, but only taller :blah:

Im not going back to that stock rear.

What about welding up the rear one with a wire welder & filing it back to shape ? :hmm: Also I have cut the blades off others & wended them to a dif base to get what I want.
:thumbsup:

Have you figured out how tall it needs to be? There must be something out there that will work.

have not looked yet for new sights. I have a lot of work to do so i will get to it when i can.

Maybe just have a gunsmith drill and tap for a scope.
:blah:

just kidding

Is your old rear sight like the one one the mountain rifle in the topic Deal of the Day? If so, that is a fairly traditional sight and the quality is pretty good. The rear sight is always going to be a bit blurry anyway. You can outline the notch with contrasting material if you think that might help.

That's the sight that came on your rifle? All the Mountain Rifles I've seen have a sight that is adjustable for windage by drifting and elevation by screw. The sight is fitted into a dovetail and runs back along the barrel for an inch and a half or so.

Check out the sight on the rifle under the heading "Deal of the Day". That's the one I'm familiar with.

My turn:

The rear sight on my GPR was fuzzy until I whiskered it a couple of times.

No, wait...maybe I whiskeyed it...yeah, that was it...101 proof Wild Turkey...darned near as good as the stuff my brother-in-law Randy makes...

Russ T Frizzen said:
That's the sight that came on your rifle? All the Mountain Rifles I've seen have a sight that is adjustable for windage by drifting and elevation by screw. The sight is fitted into a dovetail and runs back along the barrel for an inch and a half or so.

Check out the sight on the rifle under the heading "Deal of the Day". That's the one I'm familiar with.

I put the original sight back on. I was just wondering if that sight i posted, would work? Its a lot taller than my original but it said for a 7/8" barrel. I was wondering if i could use it on an 1" barrel. Im not worried about it not covering the entire dovetail.

The original mtn rifle sight i put back on, just looks like manure to me and is blurry. I put a V in it which helped but the looks of it, just ruins everything about the rifle.

Any dovetail sight will work as long as the dove tail is of the correct size. That old sight is actually pretty close to some sights that were used on rifles back in the day. But the smaller sight would be correct and would work fine too. Just match the height of the notch exactly with the notch in the CVA sight because the new sight isn't adjustable for elevation like the CVA sight is. I think I'd stick with the original sight in this case because of the elevation adjustment. I have a southern mountain rifle that is very authentic, but the rear sight is from a much later period. It is adjustable for windage and elevation at the rear of the sight and just looks wrong on this 1830-ish rifle. Sort of like some one replaced the sight in the post Civil War period with a more up to date item. It just looks wrong but works so well that I hesitate to change it!

Back