• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short Starter in Possibles Bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Problem Child

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When hunting,how do yall carry your short starter?Do you just throw it in the bag or do you have a place sewn into the bag to hold the starter? Or maybe just hang it from the bag???

It's probably best to call it a "Hunting bag" than Possibles bag. But everything I need for a quick second shot if needed is in my coat pocket.

I carry the short starter in an inside pocket in the hunting bag along with basic tools in a leather pouch.

I have 3 bags. Two have pockets on the strap for the short starter and one has it on the end of the bag below the strap. It's just what works best for you. Try different ways and go with the one that feels right. With my short starter located on the outside of the bag I can hang my loading block (and capper ) around it and get to both if needed in a hurry.

I just throw it in. I do primarilly deer hunting so I carry 3 "quick shot" tubes with powder, patch, ball, and cap in them and then the short starter. It could easily fit in a pocket too I guess.

I tried carrying mine loose in a coat pocket and loose in a bag, and didn't like either. Then I tried hanging it on a whang. Worse yet. Then I put a loop on the strap of my bag. That was a bunch better, but still hangs up sometimes in our dense brush.

My ultimate solution has been to put a loop on the inside of the gusset of my bag at the end closest to my hand. No snagging, no shifting down to the bottom of the bag, no falling out of a coat pocket. Wonder how I know about those tricks? :idunno:

The little starter in the lower left is what I carry in my shooting bag.

IM000565a.jpg

I stiched a loop on my bag that extends thruogh the flap . My starter fits in the loop and pins the flap shut !! When loading I hold the starter in my mouth to access suplies then repin the flap !!

Because it is probably the biggest thing in the bag, I would have a loop inside the bag to secure it out of the way of all the loose stuff. I like the idea of the dual purpose flap latch above also. My option is not exactly HC. I use a canvas Army surplus ammo pouch and a web belt. My short starter fits perfectly in an exterior loop and my patch knife fits into an exterior sleeve. Everythin else goes inside. .

Ghettogun said:
...have a loop inside the bag to secure it out of the way of all the loose stuff.

That's why I put the loop on the inside of the gusset. The bag doesn't really need a gusset in terms of the amount of gear I carry, so I could probably get away with putting the loop on the back panel.

I'll add that experiments with putting the starter on the outside of the bag or strap has taught me a couple of things. If it's low, anywhere on the outside of the bag, I tend to knock it loose with my arm movement. If I put it up on the strap it works out lots better for me, especially if I keep the "head" of the starter small while making the shaft a little longer. The longer shaft has less tendency to work free.

I have a loop on my bag strap that works well. I must confess I tend to use a speed loader and the starter in my coat pocket with a primer flask. Not pc but does not get hung up. :surrender:

Mine rides inside the bag. I tie a wang on it and tie the other end to the strap on the bag. I pull the wang gently to locate it in the bag without having to look for it. Seems to work okay.

Chilidog said:
Mine rides inside the bag. I tie a wang on it and tie the other end to the strap on the bag. I pull the wang gently to locate it in the bag without having to look for it. Seems to work okay.

If I could manage to keep the wang inside the bag, that's the system I would prefer. It sure is the most convenient. I gave up, because in our brush anything dangling on a wang will sooner or later tangle. I'd sure recommend it in all other situations, though. I tend to get the "dropsies" in the field, and wangs sure save on hands-and-knees time hunting for dropped gear.

BrownBear said:
I tried carrying mine loose in a coat pocket and loose in a bag, and didn't like either. Then I tried hanging it on a whang. Worse yet. Then I put a loop on the strap of my bag. That was a bunch better, but still hangs up sometimes in our dense brush.

My ultimate solution has been to put a loop on the inside of the gusset of my bag at the end closest to my hand. No snagging, no shifting down to the bottom of the bag, no falling out of a coat pocket. Wonder how I know about those tricks? :idunno:

My nice comfy heavy fleese Cabelas warm coat has zippers and snaps on all four pockets, nothing falls out. :wink: But you and I hunt far differently as I just sit in one spot because I'm forced to and your trekking all over. The coat pocket works for me and I can have my gun reloaded in a matter of seconds.

You're undoubtedly a lot more coordinated than I am too!

My 80-year old mom still wonders that I didn't starve to death in childhood, the way so little food got in my mouth while the rest landed on the floor and walls. :haha:

I finally quit using my coat pockets because it was not only too easy for me to drop stuff, especially while putting it back into the pockets. My hands get real fumbly when cold, and layers of gloves only make me more fumbly. I spray loose gear like a politician spreads spin.

But my memory is about as bad as my coordination too, and I always left stuff at home or forgot to transfer it when I changed coats. Easy solution was to have a bag and horn for each rifle.

Okay, okay. I admit it, dangit!!! This whole discussion is cover for my love of building bags!!!! :rotf:

BrownBear said:
You're undoubtedly a lot more coordinated than I am too!

My 80-year old mom still wonders that I didn't starve to death in childhood, the way so little food got in my mouth while the rest landed on the floor and walls. :haha:

I finally quit using my coat pockets because it was not only too easy for me to drop stuff, especially while putting it back into the pockets. My hands get real fumbly when cold, and layers of gloves only make me more fumbly. I spray loose gear like a politician spreads spin.

But my memory is about as bad as my coordination too, and I always left stuff at home or forgot to transfer it when I changed coats. Easy solution was to have a bag and horn for each rifle.

Okay, okay. I admit it, dangit!!! This whole discussion is cover for my love of building bags!!!! :rotf:

I agree with the hands, they are the first to go. I wear a thin fleese pair inside a pair of those flip over mitten type, that let you stick your fingers out if you want or need to. Unless it's extremely cold they work for me.

I too built bags for each gun and have a check list I go over before I go out the door. Most of the time this system gets me out there with everything I need. :haha:

I tie a string to it and hang it around my neck, or tuck it my shirt pocket or since my wife can sew anything on this world or any world the button holes on my hunting coat are just the right spacing it fits into two of them. If there is a need for a "quick" second shot I just drop the starter after loading and it is still attached to my neck and not on the ground. Same thing with the capper, just in a different pocket.
When hunting I have everything for a second shot close at hand in a shirt or coat pocket. If I miss twice then I'll have to get into the possibles bag. I still have the ability to get excited and screw up, see my post under "Ball no powder."

BrownBear said:
Chilidog said:
I tend to get the "dropsies" in the field, and wangs sure save on hands-and-knees time hunting for dropped gear.

:grin: Ain't it the truth. I hate it when I loose something and this helps prevent that from happening as well as helps me find the starter without having to sort through all the other stuff in the bag. My primer is also on a wang on the other side of the bag. I tuck the wang into the bag to prevent hang ups but they do have a way of slipping out on occasion. When that happens they become "wait a minute" straps.

I use different bags for each gun, depending on what I'm after and use wangs for different things. On my shot snake I use one attached to the Irish head to prevent loss. I haven't lost one but can see it happening if not careful. I usually have the snake slung behind my back to make manuvering less of a hassle and it rides pretty well there.

Yep, wangs are useful for a lot of things and I usually carry several spares. Even used one once to pull a buddy's stuck ram rod using a couple half hitches.

In the context of the original question, my answer would be that I carry a short starter "in the bag".

But...MY BAG is actually a large size pocket on a 3XL hunting vest I use as an equipment vest...one pocket for all muzzleloading supplies, another for hat/gloves/fleece face/neck gaiter, another for food/water, the large rear game pocket for raingear/flashlight/TP, etc, etc.

Point being the short starter is safely enclosed in a zippered pocket with the other Flintlock gear and field cleaning kits. I intentionally do not hurry when reloading after a shot...I completely clean the bore & lock, then reload, put everything away, then go fetch the deer, etc.

Latest posts

Back