• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight formula

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrgr40

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Way back when, I was doing some reading and came across a formula that would give an approximate height of the front and rear sights after plugging in a couple of variables. I'm thinking that the variables were the distance between the sights, thickness of the barrel. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I have been racking my brains for days now and cannot come up with it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. :hmm:

Clicking on the blue link below is another way to get there.
BROWNELLS SIGHT LINK

I'm not sure how it works but it might be fun to play with.
The reason I don't know how it works is I didn't see where velocity, range or BC was used in the equation and velocity, range and ballistic coefficient have a Lot to do with the answer. I must admit I didn't spend too much time looking though.

I ran a quick ballistics program using a .490 dia ball at 1490 FPS zeroed at 50 yards.
Using the answers first 5 yards of bullet rise to determine the angle gave me a value of .002222

If a 50 yard zero is close to what your looking for, multiply that value times the distance between the front and rear sight.
The answer will be the difference between the rear sight to the center of the bore as compared with the front sight.

Using 22 inches as the distance between the sights and the .00222 value, this equals .048. so the rear sight should be .048 higher than the front sight.

This is only for the velocity and range I mentioned, but it is a good starting place if your building a gun. :)

Back