• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SM SMR Built & Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I think that quote is attributed to Frank Lloyd Wright, as it was and still is his school's mantra.

I had my doubts about the Warhol source but somehow I thought it was so. I did some googling and came up with this which may or may not be the end of the trail.

"The phrase "form follows function" was coined by architect Louis H. Sullivan in his 1896 essay "The Tall Office Building Artistically Considered." The statement refers to the idea that a skyscraper's exterior design should reflect the different interior functions."

By posting I assume you want opinions. Maybe I could live with the tang repair, a lot of things were done to original guns to repair and keep them going. I could not keep the muzzle looking like that though, historically correct is more important to me I guess. In the end, it is yours and if it's ok with you then that is all that matters.

Appears you were hitting target #33 while shooting from station #32. I think your shots will strike the correct target if you'll re-crown that muzzle...

Never seen that kind of a drawn back muzzle on a muzzleloader before but have seen that profile on others kinds. Overall looks like a nice build. I don't mind the tang repair standing out, doesn't bother me either way. Thanks for posting and enjoy.

Good job. As long as you can get it to impact where you want, I'd say it's a success. I'd shoot it.

Go on and let them give their opinions. I always picture them furiously sanding their lil ramrods as they race to comment about how someone's rig LOOKS. It's just nuts.

As for myself, I'd leave the *womens* out of these conversations. It rather disrupts the flow of things.

Last edited:
Nice looking rifle on a nice piece of Proper Wood..with No artificial stain applied grain. If all you Critics can do any better lets see them.
It's his build so he can do as he prefers. The inletting is better than most we see here AND the Group shows promice..Nice Job WIS..O.D.

Never seen that kind of a drawn back muzzle on a muzzleloader before but have seen that profile on others kinds. Overall looks like a nice build. I don't mind the tang repair standing out, doesn't bother me either way. Thanks for posting and enjoy

20230802_224651.jpg

Now you've seen two of them. These are not the only two out there, either, despite uneducated jeers.

Mine is coned on both sides. The outside profile makes it a helluva lot easier to pour powder down the hole without spilling any during the initial tip of the measure.

Now you've seen two of them. These are not the only two out there, either, despite uneducated jeers.

Mine is coned on both sides. The outside profile makes it a helluva lot easier to pour powder down the hole without spilling any during the initial tip of the measure.

Thanks! Now I have seen 2 of them. Neat idea, I don't have a problem with it, just haven't seen before. Bet it does help with initial powder dump. Bet it takes a lot of filing to take that much metal away.

Doesn’t matter to me what someone does with their build. Their gun.
Now a serious question is whether the filing of the muzzle will make it heat up and possibly deform or not. Especially if the inside of barrel is coned.

Well it's all together and it shoots and your happy...It's all that matters.
The muzzle is different, but the way you lined up the octagon to go with it. You did well. Why you just didn't get another breech plug from Kibler. Would have been easier. But to each h their own...

View attachment 244163

That's a beautiful bevel. MUCH nicer than mine. And VERY sexxy!! :thumb:

Last edited:
Now a serious question is whether the filing of the muzzle will make it heat up and possibly deform or not.
That barrel doesn't get hot enough to deform. In fact, it doesn't get hot at all. Try mag-dumping a wood-stocked AK. Now THAT barrel gets hot enough to risk setting your forearm on fire, and it still doesn't hurt the barrel.

Back