• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smooth bore rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbiros

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone shoot ,a smooth bore rifle?

was thinking of building a Northwest trade gun , with the addition of a rear sight....

Has anyone done anything similar?

I like the idea of a Flintlock, with the ability to shoot ball, or shot.

Not sure what your asking. 'rifle mounted fusils' Guns that looked like typical rifles but had a smooth bore were common. Often these were made to smaller calibers,often less then .54. Such guns had regular rifle sights on full octagon barrels. Today many are made at .58-.62. Many typical smooties were fitted with rear sights back in the day, I have them on my smooties. they don't make them more accurate but make them a lot easier to shoot for me.
Then lastly barrels are made that can fit in a tulle or NWG that are rifled in 50-58 caliber. So you can make rifle on a fusil stock, you can add rear sights to a smooth fusil, or you can have a rifle that's smooth. The only option that might not be hc is a rifled fusil, I have not researched it and never found one incedently. I cant remember ever seeing a rifle that wasn't on a rifle stock except the Fergason that was on a bess styled stock.

Just curious, about them, wondering what kind of accuracy can be expected.......i like the idea, of being able to use both shot and patched ball, and what some people used for sights.......are rear sights period correct?

When i look at Fowlers or Fusils a rear sight isn't even mentioned in the parts lists.

So i was asking about others who use them, what the set up may be, what type rifle would fit the description, and how they perform for those who have them.

Rear sights were very common for early trade guns.

So far this gun has hit(targets)or killed everything (game) it has been pointed at up to 75 yards.

Accuracy is up to the shooter. The shooter is responsible for load development which may be a little more critical and involved than with a rifle, if no rear sight the shooter is responsible for practicing enough to be able to always mount the gun the same way in relation to his/her eye. A rear sight won't make the gun more accurate, but might make the shooter more accurate. As with most guns, hey are generally going to be more accurate than the shooter may be capable of.

I've been toting a Centermark Tule Fusil de Chase around the woods a few years now and love the versatility you mention. But, I found most of my shots, even those with shot instead of roundball were rifle type shooting. And I noticed I was getting less and less trigger time to practice that crucial mount, eye relationship position thing. Especially given weather related changes of attire and situational changes of body position. Time for a rear sight. Couldn't bring myself to "ruin" the Tule Fusil with one so recently picked up an early Virginia style rifle with a smooth .615 (or 20 gauge) bore. It's heavier than the Fusil but I love it, meets my needs perfectly.

With wadded or patched ball I can make one big ragged hole at 25 yards, at 50 I'm more 3-4 inchs with prb , all in 6 inch bull wadded. Some boys with rifle mounted fusils get accuracy at 75 that's better then I get now with a rifle. It is a rare thing for me to see game in the woods that I have a clear shot at over 50 yards, and made meat more then once with my fusil.

I have a Northwest trade gun in .62 caliber. Chambers lock, Track barrel, custom stock.

I am still learning to shoot it and have found that with a PRB it is a 6" gun at 50 yards for me. It shoots very much like any shotgun as you tend to point it rather than aim it. Mine doesn't have a rear sight. I use it for Whitetails and seldom take shots over fifty yards.

With shot it patterns well enough at 25 yards to take a turkey. I am going to use it this coming Spring if I draw a license.

Lots of smoothbores had both sites back in the day, even some with a peep site. Reason the back is not mentioned by parts suppliers etc. is because you can't have a rear site and compete in matches for trade guns/fusils etc. About 1/2 the smoothies I've made last few yr. have 2 sites. These are hunting guns and will group well at 50 yd. with ball. ..Tom

Rear sights on a smooth bore are not only historically correct, period style sights are available from some parts suppliers.

However, many smooth bore matches require, no rear sight above the plane of the barrel and no set triggers.

This is not an issue if you are not a reenactor or competitive shooter.

Thank you. Im interested in a hunting gun, nothing competitive.

Thanks to all who have responded you have all been a great help.

I have a Virginia-styled .62 Cal smooth rifle. While I pretty much use it with shot for squirrel, rabbit, and turkey, I have worked up a ball load that would be quite adequate on deer-sized game out to 75 yards. This gun is exactly like a rifle in all aspects except being smoothbore. 42" Swamped barrel. Rifle-type stock...not fowler style. Front and rear traditional sights.

Here's my grandson with it on a squirrel hunt. I think he probably has to get a little bigger to handle it!

My smoothbore is and early American fowler/musket. It came with a rear sight and I like that. Using a bare WW ball at 50 yards it shoots groups 4" to 6"; fine for deer. With patch ball loads it has fired groups as small as 2.5" but more often 3" to 4". The rear sight works with shot, as well.

Spikebuck that is exactly what I want in my next weapon,right down to the wood patchbox.do you mind telling me who made it and roughly what it cost?

Back