• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

snap a cap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crockett

Cannon
Reaction score
when I first starting shooting black powder some one told me to always snap a cap before reloading. The purpose was to make sure the nipple wasn't plugged. I would do this with the muzzle pointed towards the ground and look for a blade of grass or some sand to move, indicating a clear nipple. I doubt the old timers ever did this and I have noticed a lot of them carried a nipple prick in a handy location. Am I overdoing it? How many of you just reload without snapping a cap or using a nipple prick and do you get any misfires? Do any of you routinely use a nipple prick every time you reload and if so, do you get any misfires? I have never had a misfire if I snap a cap but I have had one misfire when I didn't.

Absolutely, I have a routine that I go through everytime I load my gun for hunting and I always pop one or two caps, then pick the nipple, before loading.I've hunted in all kinds of weather and never in 21 years of hunting with black powder have I experianced a misfire in the woods. knock on wood.

The snapping of a cap or two will also burn off any oil left inside the nipple and breech area, something a nipple pick can't remove...

The nipples on the muzzleloaders that the old timers used were different from today's small holed nipples, but a pick will remove any cap fragments lodged in the nipple cavity...

I doubt the mountain men wasted caps too, maybe that's why they held on to their flint locks for so long...

If i understand you right, you are snapping a cap after every shot you fire? If this is the case, then yes, you are over doing it. It is a good idea to snap a cap or 2 before initially loading the gun to shoot it to clear out any oil left in the breech and nipple, but you definately don't need to snap one after every shot before you reload. I look at the nipple hole after firing a shot to make sure it isn't clogged with cap residue. If it is i pick it out, if not i just reload and fire. Very seldom do i have a misfire. Run a dry patch, or a patch soaked with alcohol, down the bore and then snap a cap or 2 and you are all set to load and shoot.

On a fresh clean barrel, I always pop a cap or two before loading. after that first shot, I blow down the barrel to make sure that there are no sparks left in the barrel. If your breath will pass through the barrel, and nipple, I will then reload. I have found that a couple of breaths tends to soften the fouling in the barrel. If you can't blow through the barrel, it is time to reach for the pick.

I always snap two caps on my gun before the first loading.
The first shot always fires, and all subsequent shots fire without problems.

From what I've seen, any cap debris created during firing is blown out of the nipple during the shot. That's why the top of the barrel and the side of the stock around the lock always has some powder residue on it.

IMO, save your caps for sending balls downrange. It's a lot more fun than watching the grass blades wave. :)

I, too, always snap two before the first loading of the day. Mostly to blow any oils, residual lube or spiders of the channel. A small paper clip straightened out and cut to the right length with a twisted loop on one end makes a perfect nipple pick.

I love my guns, but have never put my lips to the barrel to blow down it.

When I'm ready to load at the range or an event, I'll run two dry patches, snap one cap, run those two dry patches again (turning them over of course and using the first patch, first again), then load... I only do this when I start, and when I have cleaned between a relay, if I clean at all... I've never had a hang fire or failure of a muzzleloader to go off doing this... When I'm loading to go hunting, I'll dry swab three times, snap three caps, and dry swab three more times with three new patches... My hunting rifle has never failed me when doing this... Folk's just get into a routine that works and we stick with it... I don't blow down the barrel anymore as I am trying to break myself of that habit... Our club doesn't allow it anymore, and I wouldn't be able to do that at Friendship (NMLRA) shoots when I go there to compete someday... :) I hope...

I rarely have a missfire with a capper. I almost NEVER pop a cap on a clean barrel to clear the channel of oil. Why? I squirt break parts cleaner into the channel after I remove the nipple. I visually check the nipple to make sure the hole is clear, reinstall the nipple, dry out the break parts cleaner with a dry swab, load and shoot. i will viually check the nipple hole for debris and use the pick to clear it.

I FIND THAT TWO TO THREE CAPS FIRED THEN DRY PATCH THE BARREL REFIRE ONE MORE CAP I USE A SMALL PEN LIGHT IN THE BREECH ARE AND IF I CAN SEE THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE BARREL RIFLE IS READY TO LOAD.

Maxi

Little or no need for bore butter users to snap caps.... only real necessary when gun oils in the bore slowly creep into the nipple after months of storage.

I can only imagine bore butter melting enough to reach the nipple innards in very high room temperatures.

You''re right! Contrary to what some think Bore Butter is very good stuff.

I like Bore Margarine, myself... :winking: :haha:

margarine.jpg

This is the procedure we use in the N-SSA and it will cost you 4 caps every time you go to the line but caps are far chaper than medical bills and law suits. Snap your first cap with the arm at the shouder and pointed in a SAFE direction. Snap a second cap with the barrel pointed at a leaf or blade of grass and check for movement. Repeat this procedure before leaving the line. This will insure that your arm is unloaded before and after and as a side benifit burns out any oil and clears the passage. Always unloaded? I have seen more than one firearm discharge on the first cap! Did he forget to fire the last load at a pratice session or after a long day in the woods? NEVER EVER put a barrel in your mouth, any good range officer should remove you from the line, after clearing you (see above) for that offense. Never point a firearm at anything that wouldn't look good with a hole in it.

Back