• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So Cal muzzleloader hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmalone1975

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm a so cal orange county native and was wondering if anyone has hunted D14 zone or nearby with a muzzleloader. I don't think CA allows lead anymore so interested in hearing from anyone with more experience than me.

I suggest starting here to get the latest accurate information, rather than hearsay.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting

I don't know the CA zones, but roughly 3-4 years back there was a fellow from your region posting about hunts in the mountains around you. San Gabriels, maybe? I dunno, and I don't trust my fuzzy old memory. If a site search doesn't retrieve it, scroll back toward the beginning of this Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting section. There are a couple of members posting from the northern regions that might be able to help you.

Don't be discouraged if you run across negative comments about CA posted by a few malcontents. They by no means speak everyone here.

About the lead thing, if it is not allowed, I hear that Bismuth shot will pattern very close to lead shot and hits just as hard. The ban might be just for waterfowl also.

Too far north of you to have any experience with D14. Are you looking for info on areas to hunt or with non-toxic gear? It's too late to apply for Muzzleloader-only hunts but there may still be General Season tags available for that zone.

I'd suggest you contact local wardens for info on hunting D14.

If you need info on non-toxic projectiles you can search here or PT me.

GW

Welcome to the world of CA hunting! As said, let it slide of your back if people start in on wanting us all to slide off into the water and die...we are not all fruits and nuts.

That said, there is some good hunting to be had if you are willing to work hard at it. D14 has some of the biggest bucks in CA. Real tough hunt from what I hear, but that pretty much goes for anything in the southern part of the state. D14 is a great zone for black bear too.

You can still use lead in D14. The no-lead zones start a little north of there and basically take up the central valley and some of the western mountains. Keep in mind, however, that by 2016 ALL of CA will be lead free. It is a total B.S. move to pander to the PETA crowd, but that's what you get around here.

Your biggest move to improve the odds of your hunt is to put in some effort and walk. I would say the vast majority of people who buy OTC tags like D14 hunt a couple days and drive around road hunting, or sit around a drink beer. If you get in a mile, you'll have it to yourself, or pretty close to it.

One plus is that despite the low odds, our local rifle seasons are usually 4 or 5 weeks, which is nice, and they are a good way to get in some solid hunting time close to home. Out typical rifle hunts down here are 8-10% success hunts. I average about 80% success - and I'm nothing special. I just put in more time, so anybody can do it.

Most of us do some out of state hunts each year so we can take some nice animals and get some more time in the field too. There are also some Fantastic late season (end of December or so) ML only hunts that you can pull every couple years or so. They are worth the wait.

This is not a place that is conducive to an outdoor lifestyle, but if you are like me and have to stick around to put family first, then you just have to make the best of it. One of these days all the rules and B.S. will get to onerous and I'll finally be able to leave. Until then, I just work hard, fight the good fight, and keep on keepin' on.

P.S. I am going on a combo bear / deer hunt in D14 in early October. This is my first hunt in that unit. I am using a private land tag and will be hunting prior to the general season. I would be more than happy to share my experiences with you when I return if it would help you in the field.

All the best,
Jim

Greetings everyone. I'm new to muzzle loading, matter of fact, haven't even bought one yet as I keep flip flopping between the traditional kentucky style ML and a newer CVA Hawkins. The tricky part for me is that I'm a lefty and subsequently looking for a left handed flintlock.

Having said all that, I'm in So Calif as well, Northern Los Angeles Valley to be exact, but I was looking at the D14 zone as a potential. Obviously I'm late to the gate this year since I don't even have a ML yet. But I'de be interested in hearing more, and even partnering up with someone if you are looking for a buddy.

Thanks everyone for your post, it's really educational and I enjoy reading your adventures.

Rick

Flipflop over for a look at the lefty Lyman GPR. Heck, even look at the righty. I'm a lefty too, and shoot both with complete happiness. Haven't compared prices lately, but I'm sure happy with the GPR.

You can also try some lead free babbit cost some but it melts about the same,i live in northen ca also

Latest posts

Back