• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So I’ll be using my CVA and ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cvcman

32 Cal
Reaction score
Late ml season for deer
With two 50 grain pellets and a hornaday bullet.
Is 100 yard kill shot possible ?

Hi CVC:

While we can't discuss modern stuff on the traditional forum, I can tell you that with 100 grains of powder (real black or substitutes) and a projectile that can carry the energy needed out to that distance (I think many would agree that .50 cal round balls or other muzzleloading projectiles would do that) would be an effective deer killer provided YOU can make the shot. Many traditional shooters, especially if older, may have vision issues with open sights on traditional muzzleloaders that make it harder to make those kinds of shots than when we were a lot younger. But the guns and ammo are up to the task. For many of us, part of the fun is to just try to work in much, much closer so 100 yard shots aren't necessary. With 90 grains of powder and .54 caliber PRB's, I have taken numerous deer with pass-thru results at ranges of 80 to 115 yards. Most of my kills are much closer, though.

To give a specific example closely related to your question: The below buck was taken at 89 yards with a Hornady Great Plains bullet and 90 grains of T7 loose powder. The bullet broke solid bone on the way in, literally blew the heart into two pieces, broke bone on the way out and was just under the hide on the far side.

31991371107_4d666177b8.jpg

This photo shows the GP bullet that killed the buck compared to a new one to show the expansion. Weight of the spent bullet was within 1 grain of a brand new one. Excellent performance.

11314862613_c1ea53fdfd.jpg

Good luck on your hunt. I am told there is a sister site to this one that discusses modern loads and muzzleloaders where you can get answers if that is the kind of equipment you are shooting. Perhaps someone else can chime in with the website link.

Most on this forum shoot a round ball, civil war style minnie ball, or a modren take on the solid base load such as tge maxi ball or the REAL ball. All will kill to a hundred yards and beyond.
A hundred grain charge of powder is more then needed in most cases. I would hazard that few shooters shoot more then that.
If your useing pellet and Horaday loads you will get more info on the modern forum above, but however you look you will find your gun is a one shot killer, if you take only good shots and you can hit where your aiming.

Some years ago I went to the range in September. Two guys came up and shot next to me. They were getting their guns ready for deer season. Modern breech loading rifles.
They watched me shoot my smoothbore. And I was doing pretty well for me. They shot at fifty yards and were getting about 12” groups. I was shooting about 3”
We talked a bit, and they were amazed my old flintlock could shoot so well. But they decided that their groups were good enough for deer.
Don’t make that mistake.
You got one shot. You have to place it where you need it. There is no follow up time
Practice. You need no more then a six inch group if you can’t get that stay out of the deer woods.
That’s not being snooty. That’s what you need to make a clean one shot kill, period.
Your gun can do it, practice till you can do it.
Use some sort of rest, a knee or shooting pole or tree ect. Make sure of your shot and body postion before you touch the trigger.
After the shot take a nap, read war and peace, have a smoke, well it doesn’t have to be that long but give your deer fifteen minutes to half an hour then go look for it. It won’t have run far. Most likely less then fifty yards and will be DRT when you get there. Stay away from hoofs just in case.

Well answered and friendly about it.
Some guys use pellets and Hornady does make round ball "bullets"..., so as long as we don't stray any further we can "play on"...

Sure as long as you've practiced to that distance. Absolutely.

LD

It also really depends on where you are hunting, many eastern and southern whitail trophy's are no bigger than a northern or western yearling.

Did I miss what the pellets were? Triple 7 or pyrodex? Those pellets are usually 50gr.
So two plus a projectile will kill out to 100 yds. But you owe the deer a humane kill
which means you are accurate with the rifle. That requires testing your loads and
sighting it in up to 100 yards. No one wants a maimed suffering animal. Two 50gr
pellets plus, say a power belt will do the job WITH pre-hunt preparation.

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that it's a CVA unmentionable. Thought I saw Wolf model earlier, but can't see that now. Pellets would be a good indicator it's inline ignition and not a gun for this forum discussion.

If we stick specifically to the question, it can be answered generically no matter if traditional or not.

Pelllets are used in side-locks and inlines. Pellets are used to simplify loading
for many reasons. Older folks or wearing gloves in snow country for example.
All I carry deer hunting with my Hawken for reloading are pellets. They are not
limited to in-lines though often used with them. If possible, precharge with a
little BP or use hot caps to be sure ignition. I stay 100% traditional loads,but
make some allowances for hunting and loading in twilight pre hunt conditions.

Last edited:
Back