• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So Who REALLY Loves BP?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just read a long thread about what makes muzzleloading attractive. There were a LOT of very passionate answers.

Lately I've been thinking about this, and it kinda fit with that other thread so here goes:

Who loves to hunt with their smokepole so much that they'll use it for both the regular deer season and the primitive weapons only season? NO use of modern arms at all.

:v Here in Oregon we either get lucky and draw a Muzzle-loader tag or one must hunt the OTC season not both. I do try to use my Muzzle-loaders for all hunting, occasionaly I stray and use a BpCR. Enjoy both! :v

Love my wife and I love Ma, but I'm thinkin I merely enjoy black powder. :wink:

I use a black powder rifle or smoothbore in both special m/l and regular deer season and have since around 1990 or so. I snuck in a center-fire rifle one year when they first allowed one where I had been hunting. One bucks and one antlerless in two days from the ground - 12 and 15 yards. Went back to m/l. :grin:

If it is a truly crummy, rainy or sleety day I will take my slug shotgun with Williams sights and a Hastings full-rifled barrel. Though I have used both cap and flint in a good rain.

I still use a trad bow & wood arrows for a challenge. :rotf:

Marc Adamchek said:
Who loves to hunt with their smokepole so much that they'll use it for both the regular deer season and the primitive weapons only season? NO use of modern arms at all.
I'm one...have exclusively used Flintlocks for 100% of my shooting & hunting year round, both rifles & smoothbores, for a good 10-11 years now...deer, squirrel, turkey, doves, crows.
Sold off all my high power scoped centerfires & reloading equipment, along with my modern shotguns & their reloading equipment I used to use for hunting...to help finance the Flintlock addiction...LOL

I have used M/L only for deer hunting since about 87 maybe 88 an now hunt turkey (my favorite hunting) with a flintlock smoothbore only. 99% of my hunting is with flintlocks but in very damp weather I use a percussion Isaac Haines that I built just for such occasions. Now that my grandsons are getting old enough Im gonna start them out squirrel hunting a little this year an a lot next year an by that time I will have my .40 built :thumbsup:

I hunt most of the time (99%) with my muzzleloaders once in a blue moon I may get my shotgun out. This will be my first year hunting with my flintlock. :thumbsup:

Since the muzzleloading rifle has a longer accurate range than smoothbore shotguns I have used nothing but muzzleloading rifles for deer in Ohio ever since they started to allow them!Even though as the eyes have gotten older I only shoot shorter ranges, I still stick to the smokepole.

*Raises hand*

I've been shooting bp guns since 77', hunted with them since 83' but since catching the flintlock bug in 2003 I've been using them exclusively since then. :thumbsup:

There have been years that I did that. But, when hunting, legal deer are very scarce in my part of the woods. (that doesn't count my yard, there was a herd of them here this a.m. but I don't/won't shoot those.) I do take the modern rifle to get that edge that might put venison in the freezer.

I hunted with BP only last year. I had to pass on several deer that would have been easy to take with my scoped rifle (around 200 yards) and did not fill all of my tags, but I still managed to get several deer, a coyote, and a bobcat and I had a whole lot of fun doing it! :grin:

Use my GPR 50 Cal. for deer hunting. Been hunting with black powder rifles since 80's. Use it also during regular gun season, when I don't mind getting shot at by can plinkers.
In my youth I would pick up a good rock...attach a scope with duct tape... sight it and throw at the deer. Freezer stayed empty for those years. :hmm: :)

I use my flintlock during general season and ml season. Haven't used a modern rifle in about 5 years.

BP during regular rifle season is the way to go. Its a great hunt regardless just being out there with your BP, but its a totally unforgetable hunt when your take one with BP hearing all those crazy semi auto and bolt actions going off in the background

It's muzzleloaders-only for me in both kinds of deer seasons.
Squirrels and bunnies too.
I do tote a CF shotgun when I'm after birds.

All I've used for years has been muzzleloaders. .40 flint and percussion (mostly flint) and on occasion I'll take out the Richmond or the Whitworth during deer season. (Still prefer the .40 flint). I used to use my Charleville on squirrels but have gotten a nice little 16 ga. English SxS that I like when the leaves are still on. Once in a great while I will take my old Model 37 Winchester out just for old time's sake. I shot my first squirrel at 9 with it. I'm building a .32 flint halfstock right now just for squirrels and plinkin' around.

I often take one of my ML during the regular deer season. When we have our 4 day doe season the ML is all I use if I go. I always try to get out a couple times or more during our ten day ML season as well.

There's only two critters here in Ohio that i leave the house with the intent of hunting with a modern firearm, under any condition, coyote and grouse. Been shootin flint exclusively since 1992.

Back