• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So Who REALLY Loves BP?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, that's me. I use my smokepoles regardless of the current firearms season. :thumbsup:

For the past several years I've hunted with flintlocks - only occasionally percussion - the entire hunting season for all and any game in season. I've taken deer, bobcat, coon, squirrel with MLs during the regular firearms season. This includes hunting large hay fields (successfully) with flintlocks. I never feel under-gunned, either.

Most all my modern cf guns were sold off years ago to make way for various MLs. It has even been many years since I deer hunted with revolvers and even longer than that for small game. I do not plan any change to the situation. The only thing more challenging would be traditional bow hunting but that's an impossibility for me.

I love hunting with a flintlock. I like shooting and even cleaning my rifles. I've taken several deer since I was taken with this affliction but I also love to hunt with big bore single action revolvers with iron sights I feel an even sense of satisfaction when I take a game animal with either of these weapons. It has been nearly 12 years since I have taken a deer with a scoped centerfire rifle.

Traditional ML only for me since about 2003. Flintlock-only since 2006. Sold my center-fire rifle and percussion to build my flintlock...

As much as I enjoy using my ML's, I still use my Mausers.
Can't use my ML's anyway during Ct's regular season.

From 73 to 85 I did not own any CF rifles. Hunted with the ml in reg rifle season if I could not draw an ml tag.

But, I love all kinds of guns and at this time have 10 cf guns. Mostly milsurps. I like modern CFs, BPC, ML and bows. There's just not enough seasons or tags available to suit me. :haha:

I have not owned a centerfire rifle for over 20 years, I have a 20" double barrel cartridge coach gun in 12 gauge for home defense but never use it for hunting

I like shooting ML, CF, and RF guns and own some of each. I do however use flinters during regular or CF seasons too. Whatever ever trips my trigger when I am on my way out the door for a hunt.

have not owned, shot or even handled a modern firearm in over ten years. they hold no appeal to me.

I haven`t used a scoped modern rifle for deer hunting in quite awhile now. I live in a shotgun only part of my state but prefer rifles for hunting so my muzzleloaders get used when I`m hunting around home. I`ve rarely shot more than once at a deer anyway so a magazine gun has little advantage for me. I prefer the accuracy and "fun factor" of my traditional muzzleloaders over any of my shotguns. Even when I hunt "up north" where centerfire rifles are legal, I use one of my vintage military rifles or an old Winchester lever action.

about 15 years ago they reopened a gmu where I used to hunt elk to ml only. so I got into it and never looked back. plus I noticed only 3 hunters at that time. me uncil bill and my cousin jimmy for the first 3 or so years we hunted that unit. great hunting back then.

I like muzzle-loading shooting because I enjoy the challenge of hunting and shooting with one; but also I love tinkering with loads, and spending time tweaking things without having to worry about optical sights! I guess too that I have utterly dedicated to being different .....

i've been totally black since 2009. i've deer hunted exclusivly with black for about 15 yrs or so, now deer, pheasant, dove, turkey and waterfowl are all black. i haven't even pulled the trigger on a new fangled modern gun in over a year.

Heresy though it may be, I do admit to hunting squirrels with a .22 on occasion. I generally don't hunt deer at all, with anything, to be completely honest I find them too much work to clean and carry out! The largest thing I hunt is fox (which I now do exclusively with a muzzleloader.)

I guess you could say I hunt bobcat too occassionally, but I'm not sure it counts as hunting them if all I ever see are tracks with no animal in them. :haha: I have yet to ever see a bobcat in the wild, but I do find tracks now and then.

with out a black powder gun i dont feel like im hunting and dont evan go. There is no challenge to modern rifles. Blackpowder guns are also so much more rewarding. You feel good because you worked with your gun to get it dead on then your sucessful in hunting with it. I really can say as a 17 year old that i truly love black powder. also thanks to every one on this forum who have helped me with loads and info i needed to be successful.

I used to think I'd never pick up a modern gun again after I started really getting into muzzleloaders :haha:. But that is not true and I'm not afraid to say it. Yes, I do like blackpowder guns and enjoy my hunts with them but in reality I enjoy any small amount of time I get to spend in the outdoors. Sometimes I like to have the whole muzzleloading experience but on other days I like to just pick out a gun to take and a pocket full of shells. Aren't we hunting and enjoying the same woods regardless the weapon we take? Anymore though, I deer hunt completely with traditional muzzleloaders because we don't have much time to do it so I figure make the most of the time I have to hunt deer with a gun.

i'm totally black now, for all game, be it small or large, beast or fowl. i have weapons big enough to take a moose and go out the next morn and drop pheasants like stones. ducks fall to my 1868 SxS and pheasants to my 20ga flint. deer fall prey to the smoothbore as well. i love BP, always have, always will. modern fodder has no real appeal to me, all i see is M-16/M-4 clones and the wannabes who buy them and never learn to shoot them. modern shotguns all the same no matter what new recoil reduction or gas system they've come up with, one will not out shoot the other. i'll take my BP.

Been Hunting Deer for many years . Hunted modern gun until I dropped my 1st deer with powder now all season hunts for me here in KY are Black Powder using a 54 cal Hawken .enjoy your hunts
Bill

Back