• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So Who REALLY Loves BP?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are my inspiration! Im 42 years old and have not hunted black powder since I was 13. I all of a sudden have this tremendous need to get back to my roots! I even still have my loading supplies from back then! All I had to do was buy powder and caps! Just bought my new T/C Hawken! A month earlier I traded a Soviet Dragunov sniper rifle for a WWII Browning 1919 belt fed machine-gun (semi-auto). Haven't seen the Browning in months...In the safe! Handle the Hawken everyday! Muzzleloaders are just more interesting to me. Absolutely cant wait to hunt with it this year. My friends are absolutely givin me grief for my decision. Luckily I have The Muzzle loading Forum for therapy!

Last edited by a moderator:
...yup, i gotta agree with ya regarding "muzzleloaders are more interesting"... :thumbsup:

I love to hunt with my many Muzzeloaders since my last one is a TC Flint Lock 50cal it is a lot of fun. Took it out last year on deer but never got a shot. I got my dad hooked on muzzeloading for deer when I brought home a nice doe. He has blasted a few with his MK85 but don't care for the flint lock. I hope to convert him in the future. One of my hunting buddies thinks hunting durring early black powder season is a waste of time. I may still get him converted at least I hope so. He dose love his 300Win Mag though.

I went hangun only hunting for 2 years in a row got a deer both times. My friends thought I had lost my mind but I had a lot of fun. I had to use a relover because I couldnt come up with a BP pistol that was long enough to be legal. I have solved that since with a TC scout I know it aint a flint lock or a side hammer but at least I can shoot Geox 333f, Pyro or 777. I see no advantage with the Pyro or the 777 still have to take it apart and throuly clean it after it has been shot.

One day I want to have a custom flint lock built but I will have to save for a looooong time.

I started shooting BP guns when I turned 18. I couldnt buy a long gun or hand gun and I loved shooting but wanted something biger than a .22 and rifle shells were and still are to expensive.

For the past three years I have been using BP during all firearms seasons here in NJ. This year my goal is to harvest a deer with my new Lyman GPR .54 cal.

I have the same goal with my GPR. All my deer taken with a muzzleloader have been shot with a TC Renegade in .54 cal. I'm really anxious to get one with my .54 GPR that I just finished building.

Is your .54 GPR Flint or Precussion?
I put together a .54 GPR Precussion it is a lot of fun to shoot and very accurate.
I think the TC .50 Flint Lock is more fun.
I had a lot of folks watching me shoot it at the range last year some were even takin pictures.

My 54 GPR is a flintlock. I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to shoot a percussion rifle but I wouldn't mind giving one a try. I absolutely refuse to shoot one of the forbidden muzzleloaders!
:grin:

Illinois being a state of shotgun, muzzleloader or pistol only leaves out the centerfire rifle for deer hunting. I don't care to use a shotgun, so I'll stick with muzzleloaders. I have two sons that hunt with me using muzzleloaders. But if I ever get back up to my home state of Wisconsin I will likely take one of my center fire rifles (Marlin 30-30, Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R, 30-40 Krag, Mauser 35 Whelen or M1917 30-06). For now I'm happy with the hunts in Illinois. But I have not used any of the above except for the 30-30 and I'm anxious to try the rest.

Six out of the last seven hunting seasons I was hunting with a Longbow only.This included small game.Last year I started getting into Black Powder and love it.
I did Squirrel hunt a couple of times with my Ruger MK II target pistol and iron sights.That's pretty darn fun too. :v

I am also an Illinoins resident and am limited to shotgun, limited handguns, and muzzeloaders. Started with a CVA .45 Caliber Kentucky I built from a kit and never went back to the shotgun. Been using a CVA .50 Double Rifle for many years and am currently working on a load I like for a CVA .54 Caliber Hawken. I carry my Ruger Single Six .45 Colt loaded with a case full of 777. Plenty of power for a backup and legal in Illinois. Have not shot a deer with it yet but will when the right shot comes along.

Muzzleloaders only for me for the last several years. Can't see ever going back to modern guns. Nothing aganist them just enjoy the muzzleloaders more. Like others here I have sold most of my modern rifles to have new muzzleloaders built.

Back