• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Something special from Old Germany

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is something special from Old Germany.
A superb German flintlockrifle with fine engraved silver mounts, signed in silver on the barrel Crausse in Hertzberg, locks signed by Friesen in Dresden
One barrel is rifled with set trigger and the other barrel is smoothbore.
290598_max.jpg

290598_detail2_max.jpg

290598_detail3_max.jpg

290598_detail4_max.jpg

290598_detail5_max.jpg

290598_detail6_max.jpg

290598_detail7_max.jpg

290598_detail8_max.jpg

290598_detail9_max.jpg

:hatsoff:

Thank you, Stophel. I was thinking later than 1775, but its nice to know. It also doesn't look like its been fired, which makes it a particular nice example of the artistry of the time. I can't imagine what that gun cost someone to make even then. Today, I think $30,000 would be on the low end.

All my time in NW Germany I never ran across anything close to that. Must of been some rich Nobleman to have a piece like that made. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! :hatsoff:

Wow what a masterpiece. that gun was designed to be used evidently, it has 2 sling attachments.
must have been made for royalty.
caliber?

One barrel is rifled with set trigger and the other barrel is smoothbore.

Is there a selector for firing rifle or smoothy?
Did you see this in a museum?

Beautiful! While stationed in Germany many years back I went to the castle/museum in Wittemburg (sp?). They had a huge collection of flint and perc firearms. This piece could easily have fit in that collection. Thanks for sharing.

Happy to see you back Undertaker!
I always look forward to see the gems that you may"DIG UP" pardon the pun.
Wonderful photos.
Thank you for your time, and shareing with us this fine piece of work...could this be an early CVA kit? Nah I don't think so!
Go find some more like it please.
Old Ford

I was questioning the set trigger statement. 2 triggers on a SXS is what I see, where is the set that was mentioned? Or how is it done??

Gbro asked:
I was questioning the set trigger statement. 2 triggers on a SXS is what I see, where is the set that was mentioned? Or how is it done??

The set trigger is for the rifled barrel, & would be a single-set trigger, were the trigger is pushed forward to set. The smoothbore barrel would have a standard trigger. I have a much later (1890s) German Double-rifle with two single-set triggers, they can be used either set or un-set, I would assume the flint rifle would be similar.

Thank you Arquebus,

That is very interesting. I had heard the term single set trigger before but didn't understand what it was. :surrender:

Back