• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

speed loaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglas duncan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I made a couple of loaders over the weekend I used oak for the wood. I counter sunk an opening where the ball goes to fit over the barrel easier.
then drilled the hole for the powder to hold up to 100 grains of powder and used a rubber stopper for the end cap. it is easy to pull out with your fingers or you can use your mouth.

100_0814.jpg

That's pretty slick! I can see a lot of potential to customize them according to need. Thanks for the good idea!

I had a similar idea for my 32 and 36, but drilled a hole big enough for a 44 mag case alongside the bullet hole. Yours feels a whole lot better!

Thanks for the example and inspiration!

I had to go and click on this post......now I went and done it....I love gadgets and simple ones at that....Thanks alot now.....off to Home Depot for some hard woods and maybe some home made dowels or horn plugs

Thanks

douglas_d said:
was the 44 case your powder measure size?

thanks for the :thumbsup:

Nope. I measure a charge into the case and stuff a cork into it to keep it there. Pretty handy really, but pretty funny looking too. I like your idea a bunch better.

BTW- If you go the 44 mag case and cork route, the corks that are the right diameter are long enough that they reach down and take up too much room. I can barely get 20 grains of 3f in there. So it is my habit to shorten the corks so I can put in a 25 grain charge, standard in both my 32 and my 36.

What a great idea. I know what I am going to be doin tonite down in the shop.

Great idea! and for shot loads the hole can be drilled all the way thru lengthwise and contain the powder, wad, shot and overshot card.

I like what you did combining two into one. :hatsoff: I did something similar blending old and older ideas into a system although what I did is going to have an extra hand movement involved but it will still be faster than a horn, measure, cutting patching at the muzzle. The apostles hold 75 grains of 2F Swiss powder. This shoots to the same POI that 85 grains of 2F GOEX does in my Dixie Jaeger.
2008_10100003.jpg

Those are much more attractive than the plastic ones, I gave up on ball boards premeasured loads and such, I can't think any faster than I can load from the horn anymore.

runnball do the powder holders double as the short starter also?

all a person really needs is something to get one maybe two shots off in a quick manner.

i did not know that speed loaders were available for prb's until i started looking around after I made these ones.

I still like this concept better than the single tube ones out there.

No the od of the powder holders is abouut 11/16" and my rifle is a .54 so I still have to carry a short starter but you are giving me ideas. :wink:

9/16" will fit a 54 cal. got me to thinking about using the other end of the speed loader for a short starter. this is what happens when people get together with ideas.

maybe I will make a new one up.

Now you guys be carefull that you don't get this system going so fast that you dump a load of powder down a hot bore or on top of an ember and torch off your fingers :shocked2:

Back