• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spring bear #2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor#0

Bushwhacker
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The 58 with round ball sure makes quick work of them.i
1000000593.jpg

Using a Cabela's/ Investarms hawken I bought from a fella on this forum, it was new/ unused condition. It's a good shooter, first shot on target was all but a bullseye and groups nice. Using a 562 ball with .18 patch, bear grease, and 80 grains of 2f. I need to work up a 100 yd load for moose. I really like the 58 I'm surprised it's not more popular.

Where abouts in bush Alaska? 41 years in Southeast myself and saw plenty of bears. The nose on that one looks lighter colored than most I've seen. There is a lot of variation in them including the Glacier blue ones and a couple of white bears around Skagway and Haines. There were too many big ol' Brown Bears where I spent most of my time for me to be bumbling around with a muzzleloader. I know three guys who got chewed up.
Good job by the way. Black bear meat makes the best "corned beef" I've had.

Last edited:
160 miles northeast of Fairbanks. I've shot some over the years that had a reddish tint on their legs, feet, and head. Cinnamon color is fairly common here too......
Nice thanks for sharing,how big do your black bears get where your at .Do they get much past 300 lbs yours there looks about average in the 200/250 range by your picture .

That's a good-looking bear. Any guess on age? I had a couple of bear tags back in Oregon, but never could catch up to the ones I glimpsed in the brush. In that country, a mountain bear that has been living on berries, plants and grubs could be some good eating, but a foothills bear that had access to dead salmon and garbage cans could be inedible.

Nice thanks for sharing,how big do your black bears get where your at .Do they get much past 300 lbs yours there looks about average in the 200/250 range by your picture .
Usually not much bigger than 350 or so and the grizz get up to maybe 600. The bears up here spend most of their time hibernating since our summers are so short. These bears don't eat fish so they are excellent eating, it's our favorite so we put a bunch of it up. By July they will feed really heavy on blueberries and then highbush cranberries into fall, they really fatten up then! These spring bears have very little fat on them.

Usually not much bigger than 350 or so and the grizz get up to maybe 600. The bears up here spend most of their time hibernating since our summers are so short. These bears don't eat fish so they are excellent eating, it's our favorite so we put a bunch of it up. By July they will feed really heavy on blueberries and then highbush cranberries into fall, they really fatten up then! These spring bears have very little fat on them.
I’ll bet there good eaten when they are full of berries .

I can see a trip to Alaska in my future. I have a very nice Pedersoli Double rifle, .58 cal, just sitting in my safe. I'll have to research guides, maybe make a reservation.
In view of the difficulty of flying with BP, is it readily available around Fairbanks?

I can see a trip to Alaska in my future. I have a very nice Pedersoli Double rifle, .58 cal, just sitting in my safe. I'll have to research guides, maybe make a reservation.
In view of the difficulty of flying with BP, is it readily available around Fairbanks
There's a guy in Two Rivers that sells the real stuff. What would you be looking to go after?

Using a Cabela's/ Investarms hawken I bought from a fella on this forum, it was new/ unused condition. It's a good shooter, first shot on target was all but a bullseye and groups nice. Using a 562 ball with .18 patch, bear grease, and 80 grains of 2f. I need to work up a 100 yd load for moose. I really like the 58 I'm surprised it's not more popular.
I have one, had two but nobody wants to hunt with me so I bee selling off. THEY ROCK.

In view of the difficulty of flying with BP, is it readily available around Fairbanks?
Watch out for an overwaddling sow wearing green. Could be my sister. THATS why I have ZERO interest in hunting/fishing up there. It'ss just too small an area and I could run into her.

Back