• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Hunting- The Traditional Way Book

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be interested. Might be max fun.
I think it would be a hoot. Right now I’m focusing on squirrel hunting areas that has a camp ground near by. Most likely be later towards the fall when the temps are lower. Best time would be just prior to the leaves falling. Still plenty of hickory nuts up in the trees and squirrels are running everywhere……..squirrel stupid season.

I think it would be a hoot. Right now I’m focusing on squirrel hunting areas that has a camp ground near by. Most likely be later towards the fall when the temps are lower. Best time would be just prior to the leaves falling. Still plenty of hickory nuts up in the trees and squirrels are running everywhere……..squirrel stupid season.
I would be up for that. Travel, timing and health would be considerations though.

So, how many of you all that might be up for a squirrel hunting/rondi has a camper or a somewhat larger tent? This is a big factor in finding a good location.

If we can put this together it would most likely be best if it were during the week, but that’s not set in stone. I’d like to accommodate everyone’s schedule as much as possible.

So, how many of you all that might be up for a squirrel hunting/rondi has a camper or a somewhat larger tent? This is a big factor in finding a good location.

If we can put this together it would most likely be best if it were during the week, but that’s not set in stone. I’d like to accommodate everyone’s schedule as much as possible.
Ed, I would love to be part of
The Great Muzzleloading Squirrel Rondi!

But I just don't see how I could make it happen. I hope you guys or some of guys can do it... If anything I'd be there in Spirit, and could read about it.
Thanks Ed.

Ed, I would love to be part of
The Great Muzzleloading Squirrel Rondi!

But I just don't see how I could make it happen. I hope you guys or some of guys can do it... If anything I'd be there in Spirit, and could read about it.
Thanks Ed.
Well dang it all. I was really hoping you could make it (if it happens at all). Lots of work to do before this is a go. So, perhaps things will change for you by then.

Okay fella’s, here’s what we are looking at. Those are all campgrounds in the somewhat local area. No doubt there’s squirrels at every location. The circled area in the upper left is ole ETipps house. There’s a whole lot more real estate out there than what it looks like. It’s miles from my house to the location most furthest south. However, I’m on it like white in rice. Much scouting to be done. Lots of driving to be done. I’m going to do my best for you all. I really want to see this materialize. With the very sad political situation in the world now, this may very well be a get together of a life time.

Attachments

• IMG_2394.jpeg
    IMG_2394.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Okay fella’s, here’s what we are looking at. Those are all campgrounds in the somewhat local area. No doubt there’s squirrels at every location. The circled area in the upper left is ole ETipps house. There’s a whole lot more real estate out there than what it looks like. It’s miles from my house to the location most furthest south. However, I’m on it like white in rice. Much scouting to be done. Lots of driving to be done. I’m going to do my best for you all. I really want to see this materialize. With the very sad political situation in the world now, this may very well be a get together of a life time.
Will those campgrounds be crowded during season?

Will those campgrounds be crowded during season?
Hello Mike.

I just got in from locating another possible squirrel hunting place. Still have to go back to scout.

I’ve also ruled out the one campground. There’s a better one not far away that has better facilities plus a small river running through it. It is not used all that much later in the year.

After reviewing the 2024 KY hunting season dates, I’ve established that anytime before October 12th is good. No crazy orange army season. There is a window from October 14-18 with no firearms season. IMO, that week would most likely be best due to it being squirrel stupid season.

Please advise if you are interested so I can continue to put this all together.

You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until possum season rolls around...
Yeah man. That’s next on the list. Love that possum.

I was always told to eat more possum because it would put lead in my pencil. Well heck, at my age I reckon I won’t be writing to anyone anyway. As much possum that I’ve eaten in my life (mostly the freshest of road kill) Ive proven that word of advice to be false. I mean, I ought to still be able to write until I’m 110 years old. 😁

Liars!

Attachments

• IMG_1954.png
    IMG_1954.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'd get downright claustrophobic in there. If I can make it I'm not looking forward to dragging my trailer. Might need to upgrade from my little 3P backpacker.
I hope you can make it, Mike.

Don’t feel bad. My little 1965 model camper is supposed to be a 10 footer but I think someone used a long tape measure. I like it though.

Last edited:
I'd get downright claustrophobic in there. If I can make it I'm not looking forward to dragging my trailer. Might need to upgrade from my little 3P backpacker.
If I'm blessed and lucky enough to make it I'll be, as the young folks used to say, kickin' it old school. Either a tent or a lean-to. Or just out on the ground by a fire if that's aloud.

Back