• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stephen E Ambrose

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky911

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just loaned a book by a neighbor
Undaunted Courage, Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West

any reviews?
Didn't Ambrose get accused of plagiarism a while back?

Yes he did.

I enjoyed the book very much and it was the fuel that really lit my fire and start to learn more about flintlocks. :thumbsup:

sparky911 said:
I was just loaned a book by a neighbor
Undaunted Courage, Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West

any reviews?
Didn't Ambrose get accused of plagiarism a while back?

It's a good book. If you want great, read the journals. I think they're more interesting than anything else I've ever read on the expedition.

Ambrose is a good writer, but IMHO, he's gets a little shoddy in places. The plagiarism I think was a little overblown. There are a several instances where he used something from another book, and referenced that book in the footnotes, but the actual reference was not in quotations. The descrepancy had to do with a couple of his WWII books. The one thing that has drawn me to his writing is his passion for history. If you ever saw him interviewed, you can tell he just loved history.

I read it about 7 years ago Sparky. I'm sure he did but I just don't remember much other than having a good sense of being there, tagging a long on the journey.

laufer said:
i liked it a lot!!!

Ditto. Very entertaining.

Read Alexander MacKenzie's journal after that. :thumbsup:

He beat L&C across the Rockies to the Pacific by 11 years.

Bella Coola Inlet, BC, Canada:
Alex_MacKenzie_from_Canada_by_land.jpg

I thought it was his best book. We lost an excellent writer when he had to leave early.
Tom Black
Cantucky

good book, easy/light read with good info.
ambrose gets credit for being into and knowledgeable about lewis and clark long before it became fashionable.

Tom Black said:
I thought it was his best book. We lost an excellent writer when he had to leave early.
Tom Black
Cantucky

It is a Good Book, but it had a couple of errors in it. One talking about Lewis out walking and mapping, coming up on a bear and having to stop to load his gun by "slipping a flint into the lock". Unless I missed that when I read the journals it's just 20th century thinking of how a flintlock might have some sort of safety. I very seriously doubt Lewis walked around with the flints out of his rifle. That was the one that really stands out to me at the moment, There were a few others.

I would rate my favorites as Supreme Commander and Band of Brothers (I had read the book, long before the movie came out).

And yes, we did lose a wonderful historian at his passing. Like any historian, he wasn't perfect, but he at least shared our passion for history.

He did say , about the flintlock....it was carried without a flint, then when it was needed to shoot, it had to have a flint placed in the cock , tighteded...etc. therefore very slow into action. But a good read non the less.

P.

Although... I have read more than once in original journals where they say they changed their flint before making a important shot... or charging into brush after the enemy. Probably re-primed at the same time.

I've been thinking about picking the book up at the library. My main interest is the mid to late 18th century but recently the 19th has picked my interest a bit. Pichou, thanks for the info about Alexander Mckenzie. It too sounds like an excellent read.

And your smart mouth? :wink:

Tell you what, I'll delete my web site if you install a zipper.

Latest posts

Back