• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock Finish Other Than "Brown"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a nice little CVA .50 Mountain Rifle kit that someone had started work on many years ago. He did Excellent wood work, and I'm finishing it up soon. (It's from the 1980 period). I have so many "Brown" muzzleloaders, are there any suggestions as to a stain or coloration for this little gun? The wood is smooth, very plain, and doesn't have to appear like a true, old, antique gun. No Striping, please! Thx

I have a nice little CVA .50 Mountain Rifle kit that someone had started work on many years ago. He did Excellent wood work, and I'm finishing it up soon. (It's from the 1980 period). I have so many "Brown" muzzleloaders, are there any suggestions as to a stain or coloration for this little gun? The wood is smooth, very plain, and doesn't have to appear like a true, old, antique gun. No Striping, please! Thx
Some maple guns were blond or honey colored. Red stain was popular in the north east. Green and yellow stains were also seen
Much of the darkness of today’s antiques are caused by oxidation over the years

Just for something to think about, I have read where some English trade guns were painted. And if my memory is correct, believe Mike Brooks finished at least one gun with a painted finish.

Tried to stay lighter than most. I also wanted something different.

Attachments

• 20230510_145247.jpg
    20230510_145247.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
The wood is smooth, very plain, and doesn't have to appear like a true, old, antique gun. No Striping, please! Thx

So there were some finishes that were meant to be durable and sometimes decorative.
Sea Service muskets were painted black with oil based paint or were "Japanned" which is asphaltum dissolved into a solution
Some trade guns were painted Carolina Blue
Some trade guns were painted red. You can reduce the brightness of the red by adding a touch of black if you buy ready-mixed oil-based red, and be sure to use oil-based paint. I think a small can with the paint store mixing you your wanted color is a better idea. Some of these red stocked trade guns had vine patterns on them as well. I think the reddish stock with the vine pattern is quite nice, and it IS authentic.

CLAY SMITH VINE PATTERN.jpg

LD

So there were some finishes that were meant to be durable and sometimes decorative.
Sea Service muskets were painted black with oil based paint or were "Japanned" which is asphaltum dissolved into a solution
Some trade guns were painted Carolina Blue
Some trade guns were painted red. You can reduce the brightness of the red by adding a touch of black if you buy ready-mixed oil-based red, and be sure to use oil-based paint. I think a small can with the paint store mixing you your wanted color is a better idea. Some of these red stocked trade guns had vine patterns on them as well. I think the reddish stock with the vine pattern is quite nice, and it IS authentic.

View attachment 339701

LD
Hey, Loyalist! Thanks for the suggestions! Really appreciate! :)

Nice comments! I kinda like the reddish, and the Carolina Blue; ever notice how oil based paint is almost a thing of the past? Major outlets are using acrylic, mostly. There's always a place and need for good ol' Oil Based! I love the vine theme.

Nice comments! I kinda like the reddish, and the Carolina Blue; ever notice how oil based paint is almost a thing of the past? Major outlets are using acrylic, mostly. There's always a place and need for good ol' Oil Based! I love the vine theme.
I think you can find "paint pens" which make the vines a lot easier to do. I was told when they did them on stained stocks they used India ink and then several coats of boiled linseed oil.

LD

Just for something to think about, I have read where some English trade guns were painted. And if my memory is correct, believe Mike Brooks finished at least one gun with a painted finish.
Paint was very common for guns in the seventeenth century
Fell out of style in the eighteenth but still seen.
My doglock cr 1710 style, and a photo of original federal style rifle in a blond finish

Attachments

• IMG_7095.jpeg
    IMG_7095.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7092.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7093.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
Back