• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stone headed war club

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i was reading on another forum a good man was thinkin bout making a stone headed war club by spliting a sapling and putting the head into the split well i stole his idea so im workin on a war club now ill try to post pics

Put the wet rawhide around the head and around the branch. To reenforce the weak points.

wow, Mike, you're a clever guy ... hope you don't mind if i filtch your idea... the dog will never know...
:rotf:

The brown ones are flavored and it does not come out, all right if you do not mind the critters following you around......Randy

MSW said:
wow, Mike, you're a clever guy ... hope you don't mind if i filtch your idea... the dog will never know...
:rotf:

Yeah, real clever. When we moved the sofa to set up the Christmas tree, I found the dogs had stashed 3 knife sheaths, a tomahawk cover, a primitive quiver, and a drumhead! :redface: :bull:

I can't take credit, I think I got the idea from Spence. That guy knows his business.
:hatsoff: to Spence

Mike Brines said:
Grocery store, a rawhide dog bone. Just soak it to get it soft. :thumbsup:
Yep, have done that a couple of times, still have 2 in original wrapping. If you cut the softened rawhide in a spiral (kinda like using the LaceMaker) you can get 1" (or whatever width you desire) by at least a couple of feet long strip, depending on width of strip and size of rawhide.

R.Thornbury said:
warheads done i took 4 hours and sandpapered a groove in it
The groove in a stone head is/was usually chipped in, using another stone. I've never heard of "sanding" the groove. Unless the head is made of very soft stone?

plains-indian-granite-stone-war-club-x-kema-museum_390268806313.jpg

old-stone-7-8-grooved-axe-kunkle-pa-susquehanna-valley_140495749538.jpg

trust me it aint a soft stone what i mainly did was take a small ballpien hammer and knocked some chips in it to start hte groove then went through quite a few pieces of sand paper for several hours and finished the groove into it

Most western stone club heads are made from sandstone and some, especially No Plains of soapstone - both fairly soft stones easily worked by comparison to granite, etc..
Not on those pics of originals how smooth the groove is? A combination of chipping and then "sanding" using other stones to smooth the groove.
Also on most western clubs the entire grip is quite small in diameter and then covered it's entire length with rawhide. This makes for a "whippy" strike and is virtually unbreakable.
Late period (post 1870's) clubs at times had a hole drilled in them rather than wrapping the wood around in a groove. They were were then lashed on using rawhide as normal.
To view a bunch of originals see - use stone club or club as a search term: http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/north_public/north_public.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Back