• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stuck jag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underdog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a .36 bobcat last week and tried to clean the bore over the weekend. I have a few .36 jags that don't mic the same diameter, so I tried one with a patch wet with water just to test the fit. It seemed a perfect fit, but down at the breech end it felt like it went over a lip of some sort and now its stuck. Does the bobcat have a step or enlarged chamber at the breech end? It didn't get tighter when it went over the step so I dont think it can be a powder chamber smaller than the bore. I squirted a bunch of Break Free in the drum and stood it muzzle down overnight to soak into the patch but it still won't budge no matter how I try to work the rod. I pulled so hard once that the rod's handle popped off. Its not stuck from being too tight but because its snagged on a lip or something at the breech end. How can I get it out?

Welcome.

I'm not familiar with the Bobcat. T/C's use a patent breech that is smaller near the drum. The Bobcats may, also.

If you have a 1/4-28 threaded nipple you can go to an auto-parts store and buy a Zerk fitting. One or two squirts of grease from a grease gun should pop it loose. They are available in other sizes, and the store may let you test fit. (Advantage Auto may let you use their grease gun ~ depends on the staff).

You can also try a CO2 discharger.

Nothing I know of has an enlarged chamber. For just the reason you found. Some guns develop a "crud ring" where the powder stops the ball/bullet and the fouling builds up. Water should dissolve that, if it was blackpowder and not a substitute.

Or take it to a place that has an air compressor...auto repair places, etc...remove the nipple, insert the air hose with a tapered rubber nozzle on it into the nipple seat to seal the nipple seat tightly and blow it out.

CAUTION - CAUTION - CAUTION
Be very careful of where the muzzle is pointed as the jag will come out just like a bullet with 120psi of compressed air behind it...a box full of old soft towels will cushion / stop it OK.

It should be able to be turned out, but may be real tight. I am pretty sure that the Crockett uses the same type of drum and nipple set up as a Lyman GPR.

I got it out. Turns out the problem wasn't in the breech area at all. I didn't think to measure before how far down the barrel it was, so I put the rod in, screwed it onto the jag, marked the rod at the muzzle, pulled it out and layed it along side the barrel. The jag was stuck about 4" forward of the drum which was the same spot as the forward-most of the four scope mounting hole plug/screws. That explains the 'click' i felt as the jag went past it. I backed out all four screws and I actually had to push the jag further down the barrel to break it loose, but with some pliers (the handle popped off again) I was able to pull it out. Sure enough, the patch had some holes where it was cut on the side of the jag. I'll have to experiment to figure out how far those screws should be set into the barrel and Loctite them in place. When I have time to give it a closer inspection I will make sure the screws don't need filing on the ends, in case there's a piece of metal sprue sticking out into the bore to snag the patch.

My jag mic's .326" diameter, but it's still too tight. I guess I also need to check out some jags for centerfire calibers to find one thats slightly smaller. I tried one for a .32 but it's way too small.

Thanks for the help.

I agree...IMO, that ones either goes back under warranty or becomes a wallhanger.

Ditto, ditto. :shocked2: That's hack garage-mechanic work and dangerous at best. As corrosion gets to that little 4-40 screw you're working towards a second projectile coming out of that barrel. And it is always going to trap fouling and be a corrosion trouble spot. Might tear patches, too.

I won't buy a used gun that has "added" scope mount holes, especially centerfires.

I haven't shot it yet. I took a closer look this morning and it appears the holes don't go all the way through after all. A pipe cleaner won't go through and it looks like they only go about one third or maybe half way through the barrel wall. I didn't remove them to see how deep the holes were until just now. Lesson learned. :shake:

I tightened them all down and tried a patch on the jag again, this time it didn't snag or get stuck at all. So I guess the screw wasn't the problem. I don't know what to think now. Maybe there was some piece of debris or something stuck in the bore the first time. But it sure felt like it snagged on something and it wouldn't move no matter how hard I pulled on it, until I pushed it further down the bore. It seems to be fine now and the holes turned out to be rather shallow. Sorry to cause such a fuss over the holes. My first concern was getting the bore cleaned and oiled, but I should have examined it more closely.

It's a nice little rifle. the stock has a nice grain and the finish is better than I expected. I might get a couple more of them. I know some people that would love to get one for Christmas.

It was probably just a crud ring not cleaned all the way out and you have got it cleaned now.

Don't scare us like that again :grin:

:hmm: Could have been some machine burrs around the breech? Anyway a quick look with a bore light or a trip to a local gunsmith and if all checks out he should be good to go.

If you remember my Crockett rifle has the same problem with the jag getting stuck on the breech. That is a brand new gun as well and others here report the same problem. The Crockett is getting better the more I shoot it but you are right err on the side of caution and have someone who knows bp guns check it out.

You can never be too safe when you a dealing with black powder.

The breech wasn't a problem. As I said earlier, the jag got stuck about 4" forward of the breech. It happened to be under the spot where the forward-most of the four scope mounting holes is located so I assumed that was the cause. Sorry for the alarm. I'll do a more thorough inspection next time I run into a problem before I ask for help. :redface:

Once I broke it loose and drove it further down the bore, the breech presented no problems for cleaning. Didn't get stuck in the breech or anything like that, just that one trouble spot and now it seems to be fine.

Back