• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stuck jag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgreek

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend of mine was running a dry patch down the barrle of his .45 cal rifle. the patch and jag got stuck and when he pulled on the ram rod the end came off and is now stuck in the barrle of his rifle. any suggestions on how he can remove it?

Pull the nipple and put some powder in and shoot it out. Make a new rod that is pinned better.

You can remove the nipple and work some powder into the breech that way. Replace the nipple. Make sure the patch and jag are pushed all the way in. Cap and fire it in a safe direction like the shooting range backstop...the jag should shoot out.

Running dry patches down the bore... :nono:

You could also try a high pressure air compressor or C02 discharger. If you use air or C02 you can pour some oil down the bore to help loosen the jag. Again, aim it in a safe direction.

HD

I had that happen a few years ago when I had my first muzzleloader. I tried soaking it, blowing it out with air- no luck.
I managed to get a little powder through the hole after removing the nipple.
Be sure to point it in a safe direction. I found out the jag and patch will ignite rags left on the garage floor.

Jim

I had to shoot one of those out once. Just don't get crazy with the powder (you just want enough to blow it out) and aim the rifle at a good backstop.

If you are lucky you can find the tip and use to build the next rod.

i have been waiting to give my example to my fellow mates here on the forum, my buddy told me of this idea and to pass it on to u guys...
Take a piece of copper pipe to fit just under the bore size but enough to be right size of the end of the jag, stuff a piece of paper down about an inch, put in some quick mix epoxy. stuff the pipe down to grab the end of the jag, let cure, and pull the whole unit out of the barrel. also this was inverted so it would set properly.

now this was used on a bess so ur milage may vary. but good luck.... :thumbsup:

When you shoot it out, I shoot in a cardboard box with some rags in it to catch the jag. Otherwise you will need a new jag.Dilly

I'd second the suggestion that you try a CO2 discharger. These are so useful that everyone ought to have one anyway. Just press the adapter against the nipple of the gun, point it in a safe direction (ideally into a rag-filled box), and give it a good, long squirt of carbon dioxide. Very good chance it'll slide right up out of the barrel and fly out the muzzle (at a decent rate of speed). For an account of my successful effort at discharging an old load with a CO2 discharger, see the thread under "General Muzzleloading" titled "Project Gun - CO2 Discharger Use -CVA Hawken" Good luck!

If you blow it out with powder, be sure you push it down against the bore. I've heard of guys mushrooming the inside of the barrel.
Regards

Sense you didn't say what kind of a gun this is, before you ram the stuck jag down to the bottom of the bore take a good look at the way the gun is built.

If it has the nipple screwing into the breech block, or the drum sticking out the side is located on the breech block it is safe to shove the jag to the bottom. But, if the nipple screws into a drum that is located on the side of the barrel ahead of the breech block you do not want to shove the jag down past the location of the drum. Doing so will block off the connection of the drum with the little powder charge and it will fail to fire.
zonie

I would not try to "shoot it out" You can chuck the ramrod in a vise and pull it out of the bore with little effort.

To prevent the jag from being stuck again, never swab the bore with cotton-polyester cleaning patches or pieces of a T-shirt.
1. Always use the appropriate size patches made of 100% cotton. A cleaning patch made of cotton-polyester will stretch and wad up behind the jag when you try to withdraw the ramrod. DGW sells cotton-polyester patches and they should be taken off their inventory.

2. To those with an Italian reproduction P53 Enfield rifle. Never use the jag on the reproduction P53 Enfield rifle ramrod to clean with patches of any kind. The Enfield ramrod jag is pressed on in two peices and the jag can come off and stick in the barrel. The you will have to remove the barrel and breech plug and push it out , or shoot it out with compressed air or gun powder. Use a steel one piece ramrod with the appropriate size brass jag attachment with a steel 10-32 threaded stud, not a brass stud. Brass can easily break.

Howdy,
I had the exact same thing happen to me once while cleaning my Austin Halleck. The brass jag and end pulled right off the wooden ram rod. Before trying anything I called A & H and told them what happened. The guy told me to pull the nipple and trickle about 10 grains of powder into the barrel, replace the nipple and fire it in a safe direction. Worked like a charm.... Lucky for me I've never had it happen again.

Blacky Montana
SASS #19953

Back