• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Summer rabbit.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nicely done Brit. What gage is your SBS, 12? Personally, I like #5 shot, better penetration and still good patterns. My second choice would be #6 shot. For flying game, I like a duplex load of 1/2 #8's and 1/2 #6's. I have a SBS, 20 gage pedrisoli that looks a lot like your gun. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank heaven it cooled off. Enough for a wooly jumper -- in late July.

Hear tell that once it gets into those unbearable 70's over there you wouldn't actually have to cook that nice bunny anymore, just sling it over the back of your Summer sportsman's coat and take your time walking home.

The dog's getting old? Give the cutie a nice pat for me...

Loyalist Dave said:
Do you folks have to be cautious about tularemia aka rabbit-fever over there as we do here in the States? I was taught leave the bunnies alone until later October or until the month of November.

LD

No sir, our bunnies don't get anything that can infect us.....yet!

B.

Loyalist Dave said:
Do you folks have to be cautious about tularemia aka rabbit-fever over there as we do here in the States? I was taught leave the bunnies alone until later October or until the month of November.

I think the fears of rabbit fever are way over wrought. My family, and friends, have hunted bunnys for at least 50 years, and I have never known any one to contract it. Keep yer powder dry......Robin

Deputy Dog said:
Loyalist Dave said:

I think the fears of rabbit fever are way over wrought. My family, and friends, have hunted bunnys for at least 50 years, and I have never known any one to contract it. Keep yer powder dry......Robin

I checked this disease a little. Seems it gives white spots to the liver! We see this and call it fluke. We discard them.
We do wash our hands asap!
But we dont panic!

B.

The rabbits are everywhere here sitting out in the fields they just cut for hay rolls. The issue is they are small, they need to fatten up some.

I am in the fields almost every day here in western WV. This year I have seen one Rabbit. :( I always loved to Rabbit hunt. Now wouldn't kill one for any thing. Good old Coyotes the scourge of the east.

Larry

Supercracker said:
Brit.
Do you guys have to use non toxic for everything over there? If so, what are you using?
Yes and no sir.

No lead can be used on ducks and geese in England and Wales. It can be used in Scotland if they are not over water, like on fields.
I have salvaged bismuth from cartridges before now.
I use mostly lead, for how many duck and geese I go at buying some bismuth shells ain't to bad.

B. :hatsoff:

LUCKY, LUCKY you.

When I was stationed in VA/MD/upstate NY/MN, we were warned by the "game & fish folks" to NOT eat rabbits until after the 2nd "hard frost".

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
LUCKY, LUCKY you.

When I was stationed in VA/MD/upstate NY/MN, we were warned by the "game & fish folks" to NOT eat rabbits until after the 2nd "hard frost".

yours, satx

The great state of Tennessee has taken care of that for us. Our rabbit season doesn't open until November 1st. By then, we will have had, at least one hard frost. Keep yer powder dry........Robin

WILCO. - Nonetheless, sometimes it's hard to wait till then for the year's first chicken-fried rabbit, cat-head biscuits & white cream gravy.

yours, satx

Britsmoothy said:
Supercracker said:
Brit.
Do you guys have to use non toxic for everything over there? If so, what are you using?
Yes and no sir.

No lead can be used on ducks and geese in England and Wales. It can be used in Scotland if they are not over water, like on fields.
I have salvaged bismuth from cartridges before now.
I use mostly lead, for how many duck and geese I go at buying some bismuth shells ain't to bad.

B. :hatsoff:

Ok, well that's better than what we have here. I was just curious. I was looking at the Norway and Sweden regs the other day and it looks like they have to use non toxic for everything. That would get very pricey.

I have about a half dozen living in my neighborhood... several were born in my back yard..., and I am going to live-trap them this month and move them.

Can't eat them this year as they are eating lawns that have been treated... but might be able to eat them next fall, and if not the fall of 2016... if the predators don't take them out in the hunting areas before them.

We're pretty low on wild bunnies in the public hunting areas, but pretty high in foxes.

LD

Back