• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Survived the storm??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone herd from the bunch at the Southeastern? They were hit by a huge storm last night. The front killed 25 people in west TN and went right over the campsite area.

Hi Ghost, my folks are there and said its a mess, the folks they went with had to pack up and go home, everythign wet and ropes to their tent broke.... sounds like traders row got hit pretty hard... also sound like quite a few folks set things back up and are moving on... I will talk with them probably tomorrow and will post again later. Mom said the folks in tents were told to get in their rigs when the first storm hit...They were told usually that the storms settle down once it gets dark but these were getting stronger...sounded like they had 3 storms/squalls go over them last night...

Got word from a friend that it was the worst night they had ever spent at an event n they been doing this stuff for better then 20 years. They lost most every thing, the tent just plain disapeared along with much of the gear they had for sale. What remained was soaked n some ruined. At last word no one was killed but a few minor injuries. I also heard the emergency response teams came into camp almost as soon as the storm had passed to make sure everyone there was ok. When I hear anything else I'll post it as I get it. YMHS Birdman

Just got off the phone with a friend there. He said some traders' tents were torn and merchandise ruined. Traders Row seems to have gotten the worst of it. He said most of the tents blown down or damaged were the larger ones. They closed the gate yesterday and tried to set what they could back up. He thinks that about 20 camps have already pulled out. Everyone seems to have physically faired well under the circumstances.
slash

Folks tend to forget that TN is the eastern end of tornado ally. I have seen some ungodly storms down there. I'm glad no one was hurt badly.

Whew! Thank God no one was hurt - or killed for that matter! Sure put a damper on things. We have some great memories even though the week was cut short for us.

After having had a "normal type" of early evening thunderstorm - around 9 o'clock the worst one came through - some of the locals described the winds as "pre-tornadic" - although they weren't circular they were STRONG! An emergency crew came through camp around 10 p.m. checking on everyone and later advised everyone to go to their vehicles because another storm was coming. That one went by further south of us and didn't amount to much. We had three kids with us who were a little shaken (no pun intended) by the ordeal - heck... we were all a little traumatized. We spent the rest of the night in a motel and went back to camp the next morning to assess the damages. Our shower enclosure blew over and our tent stakes were pulled half out of the ground but our Museum Wedge and (large) fly remained intact (an unsolicited testimonial to Tentsmiths). I think the bell of our tent acted as an airfoil for us. (I'm not sure, but it seemed to me that marquis and wall tents suffered the most damage.) We had only a little water in it (mostly from the roof vent) and no damage at all to speak of. As already mentioned... not true for everyone. Some camps were demolished. It was very sad to see. I had rarely in my life ever felt so much the reality of, "as long as everyone is okay nothing else matters".

The skies still looked a little threatening when we packed up the next day and more severe thunderstorms were in the forecast for Thurs. so we decided to leave while things were dry and still intact. I'll say this much - if I had to endure a catastrophe, those are the folks I'd prefer to be with! Everyone was looking out for each other as you can imagine. Thank you all for your prayers and concern - continue to remember those brave ones that are still there in your prayers!

New state motto: "Welcome to Tennessee - it'll blow you away!"

We're definitely gonna see t-shirts that read, "I survived the 2006 SEPR - I don't think we're in Tennesse anymore, Toto!"

Just heard from my sister who lives in Bethpage, TN - about 20 miles from the camp. She just visited with a friend of mine who is camping. There are only about 30 to 40 camps left by her guess. She isn't a buckskinner so she may be under estimating. They are expecting mores storms of the same nature tonight and tomorrow. My friend, Gracie is a stubborn lady and won't leave until it is over - won't even go to my sister's farm tonight to stay dry. Gracie and her neighbors ended up washing every stich of clothing they had becuase it got muddy and wet. They used a washtub and a wheel barrow. Other than that, everybody else seems to be doing ok.

I hope those who remained weren't too stubborn to have left by now. I heard that they (Gallatin) were hit really hard last night. Any more word from anyone?

YOu should know buckskinners, a stubborn lot. No one else left. The southeastern faired ok, the worst was softball sized hail this past Friday afternoon. Apparently on Sunday, all canvas was dry enough to pack up.

The city of Gallatin didn't fair too well - the tornado hit them pretty hard. There was a college that was about a mile from my parents that got tore up pretty bad as well as a car dealership or two. Parents are going back home today, the electricity was just turned back on last night.

Gracie made it home to Northern KY just fine, however, on Saturday night, my sister's home burnt to the ground.

All family members are safe, so are the pets, they could only salavage a few coats, my brother-in-laws granddaddy's gun, a few pieces of furniture and 2 boxes of pictures.

Back