• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

swamping barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpmaker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
anyone ever swamp there own barrels ?? I am just a little conserned that i will not be able to straighten after i swamp it .

Well, it shouldn't get bent when you swamp it. If you have time and a good file or two you can swamp it by hand just using a draw file. I have an old Sharon barrel that Bruce Le Page swamped by hand by using a file.

But i am betting he arched the barrel slighly and filed it flat . I am going do it as you only bend it 10,000

Have not done a rifle barrel but have swamped a long pistol barrel for a guy. I filed index grooves with a 3 corner file 90 degrees across the barrel to the depths I wantd the swamp, then draw filed down in between them to the depths indexed & it came out great. Gonna be allot of filing to do a rifle barrel that way, but if you got the time it will be an adventure few will attempt or accomplish.
:bow:

yup that to . but a lot of the fun of black powder is buying as little as possible. About the only thing i have`t made is the barrel and flint lock. but i am working on a barrel machine.

I recently swamped a 8” .40 pistol barrel. From the time I sat down with CAD, set up the mill, cut all 8 sides (that’s 3 different set ups x 8) and finished with a file was about 4 ½ hours. I wouldn’t have done it without a mill, probably would have been 4 ½ days with just a file.

You might try a local machine shop but that might cost more than a few swamped barrels and could take longer to get.

If you are looking for a non production barrel call a known maker and order a custom barrel. If you just want a swamped barrel call Rice and order a builders barrel for $200.

Bruce Everhart

Back