• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiss Difference in .62/20ga.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlintlockHunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently bought a batch of Swiss powder due to many recommendations. Previously I had been using Goex with satisfactory results. Now I am unable to achieve the accuracy I was getting before in my various .62 and 20ga. guns. I notice in another post that many folks are using .600 balls while I have been using .610. I have tried three different patch thicknesses in an effort to get the accuracy I had but no luck. Maybe the smaller ball size may hold the clue with Swiss. Any ideas?

Actually I was using Wonder Wads. I was pretty dissapointed at my results. I tried with wads, without, varied charges from 50 to 100 grs., 3 patch sizes, and no luck. I was getting one ragged hole at 50 yds. before I switched powder. Now it sprays patterns of several inches.

I forgot. I also tried 1 1/2, 2,and 3F. This required several extended range sessions. All shooting was from the bench.

My .12 ga was all over the place and took some tinkering before I found the right load it likes. Mine is a 32" Colerain .735 bore and I use 82 gr of FF Swiss with 1/2 lubed fiber wad and a .715 ball wrapped in a lubed .015 patch.

FlintlockHunter said:
"...I was getting one ragged hole at 50 yds. before I switched powder. Now it sprays patterns of several inches..."
If I was getting a single ragged hole at 50yds with a .62cal smoothbore, the last thing in the world I would want to do is tinker with what I was doing to get those results ! :grin: Instead, I'd by buying up large quanties of identical components I was using so I'd never run out...

You would think I would do just that but I had heard that Swiss was the rat's you know what so I thought since I had to order so much I had better get all the same stuff so it would last. I couldn't have imagined it not shooting as well as dirty old Goex. Normally I am the guy that seeks out identical lot numbers of whatever I am successfully using and buying it in bulk but in this case it didn't seem likely to be a problem. Most folks love the Swiss stuff.

Wonder wads will work, but you want to use the next gauge size larger in that 20( 19, or 18, if they have them) to make sure of the seal behind a PRB to get consistent velocity and lower SDV.

Using a Vegetable Fiber Wad( See TOTW) will also provide a good seal, and contribute to complete burning of your powder, whether shooting Swiss or Goex.

The OP wads reduce the SDV for both powders, and make for smaller groups. You have to measure the bores of your guns with a caliper to know the EXACT dimention of the bore. .20 ga. barrels tend to vary from .610-.627" in diameter. Nominally, the bore should be .615". Wads are usually .620-625" in diameter.

I had to order 19 gauge OP wads to get a good seal in my 20 ga. fowler. If you are not using a chronograph, you may never find that exact same load that shot so well for you, again. But, you can work up loads with either powder to get the best accuracy possible.

Try greasing the bore in front of the PRB by running a greased cleaning patch down the barrel, either on the jag when you seat the PRB, or afterwards, using an additional stroke with the ramrod. We found that velocity is increased by about 20 fps, on average, and the SDV in velocity was cut in half!

Do not switch patch lubes, or how you put the lube on the patches, or change patch material. Each can destroy your group size. Check the thickness with your calipers on any new batch of patches you buy, or use, to make sure they are the same thickness as what you have been using. DO NOT TRUST the labels on packages for giving you the correct size.

Latest posts

Back