• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

t/c 45 ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
talked to a guy on the phone today that said he had a 45 cal thompson center . from the pic he sent me it looks a lot like my t/c 45 cal cherokee. but it had the brass box in the stock . he said it had no name on it but thompson center i know they made one above my cherokee that had the brass box but i would think the name would be stamped on the barrel like mine is any thoughts on this gun ???

ok , if it is a seneca will it be about the same size as my cherokee in looks ? the guy dont know what he has and is asking 75 bucks for it . i couldnt tell much from the oic he sent . he lives 2 hours from me but id its a seneca i will be glad to go get it ? if so what the worth of a pre stamp seneca ????

If it is a Seneca, and is in good shape it is worth four times that! And yes they are the same size a a Cherokee.

Be careful and remember that the Seneca is not a magnum! They have more frail stocks and wrists that a Hawkins ... Mine is a .36!

Agree with Necchi its a SENECA and worth a lot more as long as barrel is in good shape,my grandsons CHEROKEE shot realy well with 50gr FFFg this weekend PRB had cast that AM by him,3 shots @ 50yrd you could cover with a quarter....don't load it too heavy (not needed anyway) as the stock wrist is slight like 123DieselBenz said

The differences between the Seneca and the Cherokee are that the Seneca has 3 more inches of barrel, a brass cap box and a brass nose cap. In good condition either one will bring a premium price.
Mark

I paid $475 included shipping and extras ...

Measure the barrel, if it is a Seneca it will have a 28" long barrel, and 13/16" across the flats. The Hawkins have a larger barrel which I believe is 15/16" ...

ok thats what i was thinking . i was just wondering about the barrel not being stamp with the name .

A lot of the T/C Hawkens are the same way. My son in law's .50 T/C Hawkens is stamped as such on the barrel. My .54 T/C Hawkens is not. They are both Hawkens. The stamp does not make it shoot any better :thumbsup:

yep that's possible but odds are it is an early SENECA that wasn't so stamped I have one stamped SENECA and one not the same situation with my CHEROKEES Howeve they are all stamped Thompson Center arms New Haven CT

Papa said:
"...differences between the Seneca and the Cherokee are that the Seneca has 3 more inches of barrel Mark..."

Never heard that before...I'll double check my old TC catelogs but I always understood the .32/.36/.45cal barrels were the same and interchangable...if one was longer than the other it seems that would cause the underrib to be a problem...I may be wrong...maybe they stopped the underrib short of the nose.

Roundball,
They will interchange but there is a problem with the under rib length.One will be to long and the other to short.
Mark

The brass forecap is (by memory) approx. 1 1/4" long on the Hawken, the Seneca was around 5/8" long. From a distance in a gun rack, that is my quickest way to tell.

my bad you're right about the manufacturing plant .....guess I was thinking about Colts or something :surrender: I need to sell some of this stuff :redface:

FWIW, T/C made TWO .45 cal rifles w/patchboxes - The Seneca and the Hawken, the difference being that the Seneca had a barrel that measures 13/16" across-the-flates, while the hawken measures 15/16".

My 13/16" Seneca is not so marked on the bbl either, and I've also seen one 15/16" Hawken that wasn't marked on the bbl.

You'll find that the Seneca bbl is longer than the Cherokee's, but unnoticeable.

roundball said:
Papa said:
"...differences between the Seneca and the Cherokee are that the Seneca has 3 more inches of barrel Mark..."

Never heard that before...I'll double check my old TC catelogs but I always understood the .32/.36/.45cal barrels were the same and interchangable...if one was longer than the other it seems that would cause the underrib to be a problem...I may be wrong...maybe they stopped the underrib short of the nose.

If you try to put a cherokee barrel on a seneca, it won't fit unless you trim the under rib to make it fit. The TC seneca has a longer stock and barrel. A lot of the TC rifles do not have the model stamped on the barrel. Even with a bad barrel the rest of the parts would be worth more than $75.

Latest posts

Back