• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tags!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Elk tag for smoke pole in Colorado this time. Thought I would draw one for sure :( Guess I will just go fishing with my Brother and son in Montana and Colorado :wink: Will be tired of Baling hay and want some cooler weather by late summer.

Larry

CO Elkeater said:
Sean, if 1 of your multi elk tags is anterless would you kill a tender calf, I would.

I always look for a dry cow, that said it would make sense to take a calf ( Mother Nature makes a bunch based on loss to predictors )

I guess it is all the Disney movies as a kid that turn my eye from calves :idunno: Good sense says knock that tender meat over.

So I got M/L bull in unit 62.

Wife has Ranching for wildlife in 301 either sex elk.

Son (his first big game hunt/ he is 25) also has Ranching for wildlife in 301 but cow only.

And all 3 of us + my hunting partner/cousin have 2nd rifle buck tags together :grin:

62! How many points did that take? I hunted 62 for deer a couple times in bow season way back before you had to draw for all deer tags. Got run off during the night by some kinda dinosaur ghost or somthin! :shocked2:

You going back to Bord Gulch for RFW?

marmotslayer said:
62! How many points did that take? I hunted 62 for deer a couple times in bow season way back before you had to draw for all deer tags. Got run off during the night by some kinda dinosaur ghost or somthin! :shocked2:

You going back to Bord Gulch for RFW?

EM062O1M zero points, with about a 50/50 chance of drawing. Remember I spent um all last year at Bord gulch :wink: And Yes that is where my wife & son will hunt.

I don't know 62 at all anymore but one of the nicest guys I know to hunt with invited me to hunt with him. Bill is one of those guys that will play brushdog for you all day & be genuinely happy for you if you get a shot. I don't ever remember hearing of him NOT being willing to help out or push brush.

He is a huge optimist, while I'm well on the pessimistic side. But once we stopped hating each other for it :rotf: we seem to make a deadly hunting combo. Could be some bad medicine for the elk in 62 :wink:

To give you an Idea, he was really upset I had not asked him to come help on my January 1 hunt. (It was in the -20s ) :shake:

Even I was not too sure I wanted to be there...but bill would have driven up and "helped get my elk out" If I had just asked him. Heck of a credit to our little world.

Now, that's a hunting partner! :thumbsup:

We did the -20 thing at four mile ranch last January and the year before. Heck, it's better than mud! First year we did two out of four but last time the snow had pushed em off.

We did those so my grandson could hunt with us while on winter break. This time we are going third rifle down at Durango where he is in school.

The bunny population has been getting better and better north of Craig, so I'm heading ba k up there in January for more cold camping and bunny hunting.

marmotslayer said:
Now, that's a hunting partner! :thumbsup:

The bunny population has been getting better and better north of Craig, so I'm heading ba k up there in January for more cold camping and bunny hunting.

With muzzleloader? Rifle or scatter gun?

Marmotslayer--Lots of weird things to see when you spend time in the deep woods :) (dinosaur ghost) Would like to hear the story sometime when you are in the mood. Take care and good luck to all who drew tags. :thumbsup:

Larry

We did quite a bit of bunny hunting during our January hunt this past season. Various members used pistols, shotguns and bows. We had no ml guns in camp.

I killed all my bunnies with a bow except for one with my 1911.

On this upcoming bunt I'll split between bow and ml. The scatter guns are fun, but too easy on these bunnies.

BTW, did you ever notice that those sage dwelling cottontails are smaller than the typical ones? I just recently learned that they are a sub species called a Nutthall (SP) and that is their typical size.

That was a bit of an inside joke. And, not a very good one :haha:

There is a large dinosaur dig there on the Uncompaghdre plateau. Some people are a bit spooky about it.

I walked all through it once without seeing anything particularly interesting. It is strictly forbidden under the antiquities act to disturb the area in any way.

Anyway, as said, just a bad joke on my part :redface:

With the new job I only have 40 hours of PTO for 2015 so I'll spend 16 for my ML hunt (4 days with the weekend), :hmm: thinking 8 on the deer hunt (3 day hunt) and 16 on the wife & kids RFW hunt (again 4 days)

I might try to do a weekend bunny hunt my own self after the 1st of the year.. My .32 want's in on things :wink: we should keep in touch maybe meet up and break fast if nothing else.

Greenmtnboy said:
cashed in all my points,
Got Bull,Buck and bear.
:hatsoff:

sweet! Bear I did not get. I would have liked to. The guy I'm hunting with in 62 lost 1/2 an elk quarter to a bear last year.

I finally put in for a Minnesota elk tag. They only have seven available in two areas. The area I applied in only has two, but when I looked back at the DNR records, two bulls are taken there every year. It's a herd of 100 to 150 animals that shares the border of Minnesota and Canada.

About 200 people generally apply for this very small area.

Elk in Minnesota? We may not have quantity, but we do have quality! Take a look at this one shot in the area I put in for on opening day last year.

:shocked2:
http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/content/its-official-bull-elk-minnesota-record

Chances are slim to draw, but what the heck. If I draw, I'll be using the .58 flint Hawken fullstock I finished up this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked to Bill tonight about M/L bull in unit 62.

He has a "spot" :doh: sure its like 3-4 hours back in on 4 wheelers to where we will base camp (I'll point out here that I have never driven a 4 wheeler before) But it's a heck of a spot......

Well I guess my wall tent will get some use. 3 of us so we can all fit.

If I don't die on the contraption, I should have a good story to tell :grin:

Back